GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

9-News: 42.101 – Sweep Portland, Lose Foster

Post by RonCo » Wed May 13, 2020 1:42 pm

Off Topic

Medical Ward Grows

September 6, 2042: Yellow Springs – Three days after being assaulted by a fastball to the cheekbone while in Louisville, Rex Foster lost what will probably be the rest of his season to a severely pulled hamstring—a similar injury to the one that sidelined fellow starter Roberto Viramontas.

“The docs say it’s a lesser severity to Roberto’s, but that’s not saying much,” said a subdued Sam Brewington as he addressed the press after his team’s 9-2 victory over the Portland Lumberjacks. The victory capped a two-game sweep that brought the team back to within three-and-a half games of the floundering Louisville Sluggers, but no one really wanted to talk about that. “Rex is at the core of our offense,” Brewington added. “He’s a very big loss.”

The left-handed batter from New York has become a fan favorite in his season and a half with the team. He’s blasted 29 homers in 389 plate appearances, posting a .312/.391/.635 slash line that’s good for 3.1 WAR.

“Well,” he said. “I suppose my dance moves will take a hit,” he said with the usual brand of sarcasm he’s taken to displaying around the media.

AVAILABLE FOR PLAYOFFS?

While doctors were sure Foster would be unable to play through the regular season, there remains some optimism that he might see the field if the post season run lasts long enough. Given Yellow Springs’ well established record in October, however, this is like telling Nine fans that they might be able to have their ice cream bar if only it can survive out on the hot pavement until they get home.

“We’re done,” said Nex Johnson, a drill runner for a local machine shop. “I seen this movie before. Ain’t gonna happen.”

Machado to Fill In

In the meantime, veteran outfielder Jose Machado—a familiar face to Nine fans, and a one-time Gillstrom winner—was recalled from Indianapolis to fill Foster’s position.

“I’m just going to do my best,” he said in a phone interview on his way to Ohio. "This is a good team. Maybe I can make them better."
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”