GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

9-News: 42.085– Ramirez Tweaks Back on California Mound

Post by RonCo » Mon May 04, 2020 4:29 pm

Off Topic

Ground Crew at Fault

Aug 1, 2042: Sacramento – The YS9 announced the starter Tomas Ramirez would be placed on the Injured List after suffering a back injury in today’s game at California. To add insult to the injury, the Crusaders beat the Nine 11-6 in a game as shameful as it was damaging to the team’s playoff hopes. The Louisville Sluggers pulled an extra game ahead. Ramirez is expected to return to service in "weeks not months," but back injuries are always dicey. Time will tell.

Was Ramirez Victim
of Foul Play?
In the meantime, Nine players and officials were not happy.

“I didn’t really feel right straight from the beginning,” Ramirez said. “The mound was kind of sludgy and it was hard to get my balance out there.”

The right-hander struggled in the first inning, but escaped with the aid of a fancy double play turned by Roberto Viramontas and Luis Pena. He wasn’t so lucky in the second when an error by Pena put an extra man on base. Ramirez struck Kazuki Saito out, but bore down too hard and felt something twist. “My foot slipped,” he said afterward. “I was going full-throttle on my fastball, and I felt the dirt shift.”

Manager Sam Brewington was visibly upset after talking to his pitcher, pawing at the dirt with his foot and going to the umpire crew to lodge a groundskeeper protest. A review of the mid-inning reply showed a member of the crew going to the mound prior to Ramirez’s inning and spraying the surface with a mysterious liquid. As he was protesting, that same member ran to the mound with a bag of fresh dirt and covered over the evidence. After the game, the crew member carried a smug expression. "I was just doing my job," he explained when asked why he spread the second layer of dirt.

“The place smelled of oil,” Brewington said. “We’ll send it to the league office, but with the commissioner managing a team in the Heartland, we’re not optimistic. It’s been open season on us all year. Don’t see why we should expect anything different now.”

Next Steps Coming Soon

Team officials had no comment on what steps might be taken to fill Ramirez’s spot in the rotation. Options include sliding Luis Colon back into the slot, or calling up either Al Colbert or Josh Henson. Alternately, the club could swing a deal. (Yes, that’s some Rhodes Scholar level analysis right there)
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Re: 9-News: 42.085– Ramirez Tweaks Back on California Mound

Post by HoosierVic » Mon May 04, 2020 5:32 pm

The Pacific strikes again! There oughta be a law!

shoeless.db
BBA GM

Re: 9-News: 42.085– Ramirez Tweaks Back on California Mound

Post by shoeless.db » Mon May 04, 2020 7:16 pm

Sacramento Mad Popes
-- Vic Caleca Team News Award Winner 2052
-- BBA Champion 2053
— The Heartland Sucks
-- Pacific Champs 2040, 2042, 2043, 2047, 2048, 2049, 2051, 2053, 2054, 2058
Life is a bit more beautiful when time is measured by the half inning rather than the half hour.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”