9-News: 42.035 – McNeill Inks “Career Deal”

GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

9-News: 42.035 – McNeill Inks “Career Deal”

Post by RonCo » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:31 pm

Veteran Face of the Franchise to Return

Hot hitting 35-year-old veteran Lucas McNeill capped a whirlwind week by signing a team-friendly contract designed to keep him in Yellow Springs for what could be the rest of his career.

The deal will pay McNeill, a two-time Sawyer Silk winner, $1M next season, $2M the following season, then $5M the following two seasons—the last being at McNeill’s leisure. News of the agreement caused fans to go haywire, several taking to social media to express their love for the player they all feel is destined for the BBA Hall of Fame. “Lucas is the man,” one said. “You can tell he’s the real deal just by the way he goes about his business.” Talk shows were deluged, and shops reported an immediate run on his #31 jersey.

Some are suggesting that Nine owner Bo Jordan has approached McNeill about a position with the team after his playing career is over, suggesting that Jordan himself had taken that path himself.

“This is the only place I’ve known,” McNeill said of the deal. “And I know where the team is in its planning. I want to be part of the process.” While McNeill has seen his numbers fade each of the last three seasons, he opened 2042 hitting .289/.386/421, numbers that includes a double, two triples, and a pair of stolen bases.

“He’s a hero of mine,” said shortstop Luis Pena. “I can’t believe I get to play with him for even longer. Nothing wold make me happier than to get him another shot at the Landis."

News of the deal comes on the heels of a news conference where he and his wife, international pop-star Mikki Manning, acquired property rights to the island where the Nine’s Short-season A-ball team plays. “We love the place,” McNeill said. “I want to play as long as I can, but when the time comes it’s great to know I’ve got a place to go.”
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”