9-News: 41.017 – Ramos Returning to Form?

GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

9-News: 41.017 – Ramos Returning to Form?

Post by RonCo » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:04 am

To say the season didn’t start in a way that Ernesto Ramos envisioned it might is akin to thinking the guys in Jaws had a bit of a fish problem. It’s not exactly wrong, but hokey smokes you could be a bit more specific, eh?

The big righthander was coming off a 20-7 season in which he posted a 2.74 ERA and made a reasonable case that he, not teammate Carlos Valle, should have been handed the Frick Nebraska award. April, however, brought showers…as in thunderstorms of base hits and homers. In five starts, Ramos went 0-2, posted a 7.00 ERA, and allowed six homers.

“It was pretty ugly,” he said. “My wife is superstitious, and she was throwing salt over every shoulder she could find, and walking around chairs, and starting to throw the stink juice into dinner. I think it was only a matter of time until she started looking for dead roosters to get into some pretty deep stuff.”

Ramos made headlines prior to last season by proposing to his bride-to-be (Rosetta) in a flashy process, and some have jokes that his brilliant season was a last gasp for freedom. The ceremony happened in December in her Haitian home city, and he arrived at spring training after an extended honeymoon. When things went haywire, the jokes ramped up. Until, of course, it got to the point where it was starting to draw some serious angst.

“One punch to the gut is funny,” a teammate said. “Two is just cruel.”

Luckily, the turning of the calendar seems to have done wonders for Ramos’s game.

May 1st saw him throw seven solid innings, striking out ten as he went on to beat Hawaii. Five days later he got nine grounders and struck out seven to beat Portland, and five days after that he struck out ten River Monsters in six and a third innings to push his record to 3-2, dropping the ERA to 4.75. On the way to respectability.

“I gotta admit that it’s a bit of a relief,” said the 26-year-old. “I’m not sure I wanted to see what Rosetta was going to do next.”

The news comes as music to the ears of Nine fans, who find the team struggling a bit at 21-15, in third place in the Heartland, and, horrifically, three games behind the Loserville Sluggers. If Ramos is back, perhaps the rest of the month will see a bit of a reversal of fate.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Re: 9-News: 41.017 – Ramos Returning to Form?

Post by HoosierVic » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:46 am

You see 21-15 as struggling a bit, but the Sox see it as dangerously rarified air. Perspective is a funny thing ...

Good to see Ramos returning to form, though. It shows the baseball gods haven’t gone completely mad!

jleddy
Ex-GM

Re: 9-News: 41.017 – Ramos Returning to Form?

Post by jleddy » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:33 am

HoosierVic wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:46 am
You see 21-15 as struggling a bit, but the Sox see it as dangerously rarified air. Perspective is a funny thing ...

Good to see Ramos returning to form, though. It shows the baseball gods haven’t gone completely mad!
If a 95-win pace is struggling a bit, may we all suffer such disappointing fates.
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”