Moderator: Trebro

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

9-News: 41.011 – Amid Uncomfortable Start, Valle Talks Begin

Post by RonCo » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:23 pm

Nebraska Champ Looks to Big Haul

Valle Could Be
Cashing In

After a herky-jerky 13-11 start to the season, the YS9 front office is likely feeling a little anxiety. The club is sitting fourth in the Heartland behind division leading Loserville, a blazingly Chicago, and the always worrisome Nashville Bluebirds—a club that looks worrisome on paper but is known to have close ties to the commissioner’s office, and hence the guys who program the robo-umps. As Michael Caine said in “Ms. Congeniality,” you just can’t beat that.

To add kerosene to the fire, the agent for their Nebraska winning ace, Carlos Valle had been making rumbles about the fact that the 28-year-old right-hander’s contract was nearly up. Numbers touted have been upward of $150M over the max six-season deal that league rules allow for, a price tag made more ugly by the buzz going around that the club could make that kind of number happen without too much danger, and recent media commentary that the Nine would basically bend over and do whatever it took to keep Valle of the free agent market.

“That our negotiation position is fairly public doesn’t help a whole lot,” admitted GM Ron Collins during an off-season banquet. The club was thought to be interested in a deal that would span four or five seasons rather than extend out through the time Valle would turn 34 years old, and was thought to be willing to pay more for the reduced time profile. Valle was thought to be fixated on the years. “My wife and I like Ohio,” he said. “So I guess we’re going to see how much Ohio likes us.”

Regardless, news has come that the Nine and Valle’s representation have sat down and exchanged numbers to the point that a deal could be imminent.

“I’m hearing it’s going to be a six-season deal with something south of $130M guaranteed,” said Baseball Fanatic Daily analyst Gayle Combs. She suggested that performance bonuses could bump that up closer to the $150M number Valle started at. No word as to how the money would be structured over time, but most insiders suggest a front-loading would be in the interests of both parties, so a $30M+ kind of price tag on the 2041 wouldn’t be out of the realm of possibility.

“Carlos has been an important part of our club for several seasons now,” Collins said. “I want our fans to know we’re going to do what it takes to keep him happy—though it might help if they ordered an extra Big Nine-Inch Dog at the ballpark this week.”

Valle’s career numbers stand at 94-41, with a 3.46 ERA. He’s led the league in wins the past two seasons, and in ERA in 2039. He’s #7 on the club’s all-time win list, and #1 in all-time winning percentage.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

jleddy
Ex-GM

Re: 9-News: 41.011 – Amid Uncomfortable Start, Valle Talks Begin

Post by jleddy » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:34 pm

Never thought I'd see a 'Ms. Congeniality' reference in these boards. The Brewster continues to amaze.
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”