9-News: 41.002 – Stone Departure Opens Door For Rodriguez

GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

9-News: 41.002 – Stone Departure Opens Door For Rodriguez

Post by RonCo » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:47 pm

News that longtime Nine catcher Aaron Stone is officially a free agent, and is likely not to be pursued by the team, leave open the speculation that rookie Jesus Rodriguez may be pushed into service a season prior than planned.

Rodriguez, who was drafted in 2038, has been slowly moved through the organization, ans is expected to play a month in Gainesville this winter. He’s considered an elite defensive prospect, who should hit from the left side of the plate enough to be of value. His path this season included stops at three levels, struggling a bit at A-ball, but blossoming in AA Santa Clara and posting a .273/.364/.420 slash line. Combined, he posted 2.6 WAR in 107 games.

“We would love Jesus to take the role,” said an unidentified member of the team’s executive quite, “but it’s unlikely we would rush him.”

This suggests that another alternative could be to find a 1-season stop-gap in free agency, though admittedly the options are not extensive. The club would most likely use current backup Pablo Alaniz as a true platoon, though some would like to see fellow rookie Bruce McKinley step up. We can’t see a two-rookie platoon next season, though. That would be pretty extreme.

“I’m going to be ready,” Rodriguez said. “I’m planning on going to Gainesville with the idea that I’m the starting catcher. If someone beats me out, it won’t be for the lack of the right attitude.”
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”