9-News: 40.077 – Valle, Thum Lead Nine Past Hawks

GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

9-News: 40.077 – Valle, Thum Lead Nine Past Hawks

Post by RonCo » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:41 am

Valle Takes No-hit Bid Into 8th Inning

Dong-po Thum was named the Doubleday Round MVP today as YS9 faithful celebrated a hard-fought victory over the Omaha Hawks. The victory puts stay to the team’s notorious October jinx, and provided some measure of vengeance over the Hawk’s elimination of the Nine during the 2034 Geoghegan Round. “I wasn’t here then,” Thum said, “but if this makes the fans feel better, I’m all for it.” Thum had 10 hits in his 28 AD, including a key homer in game 3.

Some thought the award should have gone to starter Carlos Valle, who won both games he started, including a tense 1-0 pitcher’s duel in Omaha that gave the Nine a 3-2 series lead. Most observers called this the pivotal game of the match, and Valle was brilliant for seven and two-thirds innings, taking a no-hitter into the 8th inning, striking out 8 and walking only two before Andre Ly doubled with two out in the 8th. Angel Hernandez and Curt Phillips kept the Hawks hitless the rest of the game.

“This is a tough place to pitch,” said manager Bill Inkster. “What you just saw was about as close as you’ll come to what it means to be clutch.

Valle wasn’t particularly sharp in his first pitches, walking Ly to lead off the game, then hitting Jimmy Starks Jr. But he struck Justin Jackson out swinging, got Emilio Morales looking, and Orlando Ordonez swinging: 10 pitches, three Ks, and the rest seemed to fall into place.

The team will face Louisville in the Cartwright, which represents another opportunity to exact revenge. The Nine lost to the Sluggers in the 2030 Doubleday round.

“Look,” Inkster said when asked to comment. “We could probably play about anyone and find a playoff series we’ve lost in the past. But last I looked I saw the calendar said it was 2040. I’m not playing that game.”
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

7teen
BBA GM

Re: 9-News: 40.077 – Valle, Thum Lead Nine Past Hawks

Post by 7teen » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:02 am

Both teams winning their games on the road. Looks a lot like the 2019 world series. You gotta hope that trend ends, right? haha
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50