9-News: 40.070 – Costello Inks four-season pact

GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

9-News: 40.070 – Costello Inks four-season pact

Post by RonCo » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:37 am

Luis Costello made it official today when he and the Yellow Springs Nine front office came to an agreement that will pay him a baseline of $16.5M for the nest two seasons, and includes two more option years—the first in his control. The deal also includes achievable bonus clauses that could bring him $2M more each year.

“I like the idea of playing baseball in October,” Costello said when asked why he agreed to a deal that was rumored to be a step back from his original ask—especially given that the outfield he’ll be patrolling is so packed with talent. “This is a good, young team, and I think it’s going to be in the hunt for a few more seasons. So, I figured it’s the right place at the right time.”

Costello’s representatives had made a public point of the fact that they were looking for six seasons at as many as $13M per. This deal, if it plays out fully, is essentially four seasons at $10-$11M per. Since being acquired for two minor leaguers, he’s been playing left against left handed pitching, and filling in at center field to give Abdeljilill Sediki a few days off down the stretch.

“It’s a lot of money for a guy who projects to fill the RHB platoon role in left field,” said freelance analyst Gayle Combs in yesterday’s Baseball Squawk podcast. “But if there’s a team that can afford to do that, I suppose Yellow Springs fits the bill, and, let’s face it, Costello is a pretty good guy to be able to say is your 4th or 5th outfielder.”

GINN IN LIMBO?

The move, combined with last off-season’s acquisition of prospect Jim Des Jardien, raises questions about the future of 27-year-old outfielder John Ginn (9 homers, .290/.341/.445), who has been a productive player in that same role for the past three seasons. Ginn will be entering the last of his cost controlled seasons, and that has led some to believe he’ll be a prime candidate to move in a deal if a partner can be identified.

Team insiders, however, say the club has no intention to be actively shopping anyone, touting the fact that injuries and sudden downturns make the idea of depth as important for a winning team as anything else, and pointing to this seasons’ example of the “wheel” configuration of Ricardo Mendoza, Andy McKinney, and Jose Machado that the Nine deployed in their left-handed platoon—a situation that saw one of the three in AAA and two deployed with the Nine at all times.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

jleddy
Ex-GM

Re: 9-News: 40.070 – Costello Inks four-season pact

Post by jleddy » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:56 am

Watch yourself with those wheel references, okay Ron?
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”