9-News: 40.066 – Mark Haynes: Fun Fact

GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

9-News: 40.066 – Mark Haynes: Fun Fact

Post by RonCo » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:09 am

Scoring Streak Raises Eyebrows

As a first round supplemental pick in 2037, a lot has been expected of rookie DH Mark Haynes since he was called up, and the right-handed bat has delivered. In his 100 plate appearances, he’s hitting .329/.420/.588, including 10 doubles and 4 homers.

“Mark is a real lefty masher,” manager Bill Inkster said. “And we needed a guy like him because I think a lot of teams see out left-handed bats and think they can hurt us by throwing a lefty into the mix. But between Mark and Aaron (catcher Aaron Stone), we can really punish a lefty these days. Not to mention that Dong-po becomes a Silk+ kind of hitter when you do that.”

One of the more interesting of Haynes’ stats, one that only pops out on close reflection, is that he’s scored 23 runs in those 100 plate appearances, which is interesting when you look at him. Mark Haynes, you see, is no Usain Bolt on the base paths. And still there are those runs. In fact … on July 23rd, Haynes doubled and homered to score two runs. From that point until August 11th, a span of 11 games played, Haynes scored at least one run every game—including a three-run game with San Fernando. That streak of 11 games is the longest scoring streak in baseball this year—tied with California’s Quant Kouros and Charm City’s Eliseu Satino.

“That makes me smile,” he said when it was brought to his attention.

“When you homer or start at second base as often as he has been, I suppose that’s more likely,” said voice of the Nine Melissa Lester. Which is true. But you can say the same thing about his on base percentage, which is .420, only 28 points off the pace being set by the other, more popular, rookie who is blazing a trail in the weaker Johnson League.

“I’m not getting into that,” Haynes said when asked to compare his notoriety to the Italian’s. “I’m not like him, and he’s not like me. I’m just happy to be up here and having fun. We need to focus on winning a division and then going forward, so don’t get me tangled up in that kind of thing.”
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”