9-News: 40.038 – Djuretic Provides Boost

GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

9-News: 40.038 – Djuretic Provides Boost

Post by RonCo » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:40 pm

Lefty Stops Storm

With the Nine still searching for a guy to reliably fit into the #4 or #5 slot in the rotation, Momcilo Djuretic’s outing while in Seattle was like a cold drink of water. The left-hander is still unofficially recovering from a big injury, and has been spotty out of the pen, but Sunday, he threw into the eighth inning and held Seattle to only one run on four hits. He struck out only one hitter, but got eleven ground balls, two of which his defense turned into double plays. He got a third twin killing on an outfield assist from Andy McKinney.

“We’ve got a real defense behind us this year,” the Bulgarian said. “And that makes it a lot of fun because you know you can make mistakes and the guys will clean them up most of the time.”

Djuretic allowed only four hits and walked only two. Relievers Angel Hernandez and Curt Phillips finished the game off—out dueling Seattle’s Luthor Summers to beat the Storm 2-1 on the strength of solo homers by both Aaron Stone and Lucas McNeill.

“We’d love him to step up and take the bull by the horns,” manger Bill Inkster said after the game. “He’s a solid pitcher and a real teammate. Nothing would make me happier that to have Momcilo find this new role.”

TALKS ON CONTRACT EXTENSION STALL?

While events on the field have been trending up for Djuretic, rumors are that talks to extend his deal have stalled. The lefty has been one of the better relievers in the game from the moment he stepped onto the field for the Nine back in 2034, but a torn flexor last year set him down, and an honest assessment says he’s not looked as sharp since his return. Djuretic’s contract is up at the end of the year, and while the team says it’s interested in bringing him back, word is that the two sides aren’t even in the same state when it comes to compensation.

Anonymous insiders say the lefty’s people are asking for multiple years and something around $9M. A lot of grub for a relief pitcher, and made even more when you note he’s a guy coming off that injury.

“I’m just not really worried about that right now,” Djuretic said. “If I pitch well, the numbers will come together. If I don’t they won’t. That’s life under the CBA. It’s life everywhere, really, but our numbers are just a little bigger than the rest of the folks who live in the real world.”
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”