9-News: 40.021 – Series Recap (Nashville)

GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

9-News: 40.021 – Series Recap (Nashville)

Post by RonCo » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:29 pm

NINE TAKES TWO OF THREE IN TIGHT NASHVILLE SERIES

Pre-season predictors suggested the newly-rebranded Nashville Bluebirds would be one of the club’s chief combatants in the chase for the team’s third-straight Heartland Division title, so this three game series had early-season ramifications. It led up to its billing, each game decided by a single run and featuring late-inning heroics.

With owner Bo Jordon in attendance to give the team motviation, game one was decided when--with two outs--outfielder Michel Noel grounded a single up the middle that scored Dong-po Thum. He got the chance because Thum stole second base—giving the Bluebirds pause enough to walk slugger George Robertson. “I had to repay the team for my error,” Thum said of the steal. His botched ground ball cost starter Luis Colon a pair of unearned runs earlier in the game. The Nine took the game by a 6-5 score.

The boys from Music City got back at the Nine in game two, winning 7-6 after pretty much demolishing the buzz around Freddy Delgado’s Yellow Springs debut. The veteran allowed seven hits in two and a third, two of those hits homers. The Nine battled back, though, and had the tying run on second before Lucas McNeill grounded out to finish the game.

The rubber match turned into a pitcher’s duel between YS9 ace Carlos Valle and Nashville phenom Kidane Ata. YS9 entered the eighth inning down 2-1, but scratched out a pair of runs when Thum singled to open the inning, then stole second. After McNeill drew a walk, Thum then stole third, and made it home on an errant throw from Nashville catcher Kyle Baker. Ricardo Mendoza then drove in the winning run on a ground out that scored McNeill.

The series victory left the Nine with a 4-1 record, tied with Louisville and Madison for the Heartland lead.

Manager Mentions: “My grandma always told me not to complain so much after you win, so anytime you win a series against a division rival you have to feel good,” Bill Inkster said. "Those guys are good," he added. "I think it's going to be a long season."

Fan Blasts: “Delgado sucks!” – Chant heard at Rok’s Grill and Pool Hall after Delgado got his ass handed to him. That said, the fans continued to turn out for the club, filling Utopia Field for each of the three games.

Starter PQS:
Game6+ IPH < IP5K3K => BB0 HRTotal PQS
1Colon011013
2Delgado000101
3Valle101114
Off Topic
9-Notes:
ImageVODAK
Provides Relief
  • Timofei Bakitski earned his first win as a Nine in the third game of the series.
  • Dong-po Thum’s hot start (.364/500/455, four steals in four attempts) has the team’s front office optimistic that he’ll avoid the sophomore jinx that’s plagued some of their other star youngsters.
  • Top pitching prospect Carlos Pineda had a solid week in Indianapolis, tossing a 1.64 ERA in two starts despite not collecting a decision. If Delgado’s performance repeats, one suspect fan pressure to build.
  • As has become expected, the Nine lead the Frick in doubles over the earliest days of the season, Thum leading the two-bagger parade with four, backup catcher Pablo Alaniz has three, seven other nine hitters have two apiece.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”