9-News: 40.014 – Nine, Freddy Delgado, Come to Terms

GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

9-News: 40.014 – Nine, Freddy Delgado, Come to Terms

Post by RonCo » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:22 pm

After whiffing on Maxime Manceau, and—if rumors are true—being unwilling to give up enough value to wrest Egbert Behner from the greedy fingers of the Charlotte expansion team—news today comes that the club has signed veteran swingman Freddy Delgado to a front-loaded two season deal that includes an option for the second season.

Delgado (32) is a hard-throwing right hander who has posted an 88-67 career record, mostly in New Orleans. A starter for most of his career, the Crawdads have used him as a swing man the past two seasons, throwing him often out of the bullpen, where he’s been successful despite some uglier numbers in the starter’s role. He threw 101 innings in 2039, appearing in 36 games with 11 starts. He threw a no-hitter in 2034 against the Seattle Storm.Clearly the Nine front office is hoping he recovers some of that magic.

The deal is rumored to pay Delgado $9M in 2040, with a $3M player option in 2041. “My sources said Freddy was looking for three years and $5M a season,” said BBA Weekly analyst Gayle Combs. “So this deal gives him something close to what he wanted in two seasons rather than three—assuming he even sticks around for the second.”

“I’m excited,” Delgado said on a phone interview. “New Orleans is a great team, but I’m happy to have a fresh start, and I hear all the news outlets are saying that Yellow Springs is the place to be in the Heartland.”

Nine Rotation Finished?

While the team’s front office is not commenting on future plans, the deal would appear to solidify the team’s starting rotation going into Spring Training. The top three will likely be Carlos Valle, Ernesto Ramos, and Luis Colon, with Delgado and Adam Barnard throwing from the #4 and #5 slots—unless, of course, either of the team’s top young prospects make a case to push one of them to the pen full time. Tomas Ramirez and Carlos Pineda will be given every chance to do that, of course. But right now, barring another move, the safe money is on that arrangement.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

JimBob2232
BBA GM

Re: 9-News: 40.014 – Nine, Freddy Delgado, Come to Terms

Post by JimBob2232 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:28 pm

I tried to re-sign him. He was brutal last year as a starter. But I liked having him around as an insurance option.

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:15 pm

Obviously, I'd like Pineda to be ready this year to push either Delgado or Barnard out into the pen. Outside chance that In-sung Yi might come back from his injury and make that happen, too. But if nothing else, Delgado is a good insurance policy, and he bumped my fan interest a little, too. So maybe he'll pay for himself.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Joshua Biddle
Ex-GM

Post by Joshua Biddle » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:24 pm

Definitely a guy you'd expect to post MUCH better numbers based on his ratings, but is hard not to gamble on.

StormZ_23
Ex-GM

Post by StormZ_23 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:13 pm

Thought about signing him to boost fan interest a little bit. Waited too long it seems.
Taylor Bettencourt
Vancouver Mounties GM (2036 - Present)

2041 Frick League GM of the Year
2041 FL Pacific Champions

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”