9-News: 39.075 – Maybury Keeps Winning

GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

9-News: 39.075 – Maybury Keeps Winning

Post by RonCo » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:28 am

Ramos Injury Adds Heat to Mabury's Moment

There have been several candidates for the YS9 feel-good story of the year, but ask any Nine fan today and I’m sure they’ll tell you Callum Maybury is at the top of the hit list. The left-handed Australian struggled through his first ugly outing this week, but he managed to gut out a victory as he faced down the marauding Crusaders from California. He walked six hitters, but allowed only three hits as his club won behind him by a final score of 6-4. Lasting into the sixth, inning, the victory was credited to Maybury, raising his record to 2-0 on his 2.84 ERA.

“That was a gritty performance,” manager Bill Inkster said after the game. “Clearly Callum didn’t have his best stuff, but he battled and battled, and managed to come out with a win for the team. That’s the stat that matters.”

The Crusdaers got two runs in the second when Nur al Din Kodwo hit a big fly. They got a third the next inning when Maybury walked the bases full and then let Mike Manning lift a fly ball to score a run. After walking them full again, Maybury induced Chip Saunders to fly out to end the inning. “I was a happy guy to see that,” Maybury said afterward. “That’s something I still need to focus on. I got myself into trouble trying to be fine there, when really I’ve got to let the guys field behind me. All those extra pitches there were why I couldn’t get into the seventh inning.”

Maybury came back stronger in the fourth, striking out the first two batters, then striking out the last two hitters of the fifth. A two-out walk in the sixth ended his night.

Some, of course, will point to his walks and the big homer he allowed, and say he's just getting lucky. And those guys may be right. The 28-year-old pitcher's FIP stands at 5.77, and that's a number that would put your hairs on end in most situations. Some would point to pundits ragging on the lefty in most sports talk and call-in shows around the world. Others would even note that statements from the front office haven't been completely complimentary of the kid from the Outback. These people would be calling "danger, danger, Will Robinson," as they watch Maybury take the hill.

Still, the wise fans of Yellow Springs—knowing how badly the team needs an extra starter to step up—gave him a big round of applause as he left the field with the team up 4-3.

“That made me feel good,” Maybury said. “It’s great to be in a place where the fans have your back.”

RAMOS SPRAINS ANKLE

News that starter Ernesto Ramos twisted an ankle later in the week added fervor to the Maybury Madness going around the city. The right-handed Ramos is expected to be fine by the time the post-season comes along, but will likely be unavailable for the rest of the regular season. Maybury seems to be the guy in line to take advantage of the moment, as Inkster has said he'll get at least one, and maybe two more starts over the next week or so.

With the season winding down, the Nine in a comfortable slot atop the Heartland, and players starting to shuffle into and out of the lineup, one wonders if Inkster might just pen Maybury's name into the rotation and let it ride.

Damn the Torpedoes. Full speed ahead.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”