9-News: 39.060 – Honors Fall to YS9ers

GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

9-News: 39.060 – Honors Fall to YS9ers

Post by RonCo » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:57 am

Thum, Mendoza, Varela Snag Awards

To say Yellow Springs Nine rookie Dong-po Thum was on fire during the month of May would be like saying Lake Michigan is a body of water. True enough, but that description doesn’t begin to capture his magnificence (insert Genius quote here). For the month of July, Thum hit .413 with 9 doubles, two triples, and three homers, getting on base at a .463 clip. In addition, he stole 18 bases.

Against this kind of statistical outpouring, the Frick League voters finally saw the light and named him their league’s Rookie of the Month.

“That’s the kind of month that fires up a fan base,” said Melissa Lester, voice of the Nine. “It’s what people had in mind when they first heard about him. He’s a guy with lightning speed and who stretches a defense because he’ll use the whole field.” Defensively, an argument can be made that even though shortstop isn’t his natural position, his pure talent alone makes him the best shortstop in the Heartland, and among the better guys at the position not named Fairborne.

2039-thum-scatter.PNG
2039-thum-scatter.PNG (183.72 KiB) Viewed 216 times

“I’m just trying stay comfortable at the plate, Thum said through an interpreter (after a full off-season’s study, he’s a fluent English listener, but his vocalization of the language is still a work in process). “I’m getting there.”

Those words should make opponents shudder. Since overcoming a bit of a rugged first few weeks, Thum is beginining to post numbers that draw conversation about things like Pucketts and Silks. And scouts say he's still got to grow into his power.

MINOR LEAGUERS SHINE, TOO

A week after being promoted from AA Santa Clara to AAA Indianapolis, Nine prospect Ricardo Mendoza proved he belonged, ripping AAA pitchers to the tune of four homers, ten RBI, and a .391 batting average. The 18-year-old phenom knows he’s not ready for the big leagues quite yet. “I gotta work on my walk-up song.”

When asked if it might be a Mikki Manning number, Mendoza gave a bit of a smile and a politically correct “I know she does good stuff, but really, that’s so early 30s. I gotta look forward.”

The news sparked more discussion on fan sections of Oingo, a new social media platform. Some saying the club should option Andy McKinney to the AAA club to make room for Mendoza (who needs to play LF, 1B, or DH—all of which are ably covered by star-quality players already). The situation suggests to some that a move should be made. “Go get a real starting pitcher,” seems to be the Oingo consensus.

# # # Also, while a thin draft of pitchers has resulted in a tough season in Alamogordo, good news came in the form of second baseman Juan Varela being tagged as the Premier League’s player of the week. Varela, this year’s fourth round selection, hit .450 while clubbing three homers. While his profile doesn’t suggest a power game, those kinds of numbers draw extended looks.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”