9-News: 39.058 – Barnard Wins #5

GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

9-News: 39.058 – Barnard Wins #5

Post by RonCo » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:37 pm

NINE MAINTAIN HEARTLAND LEAD
Image Adam Barnard continued to be a lucky penny for the Yellow Springs Nine, throwing three-plus innings to collect his fifth win over no defeats. After gathering a save earlier in the week, he quipped “Just don’t wake me up.’

Amid that frivolity, the Nine used a 6th inning sacrifice fly from rookie call-up Juan Lopez to eek out a 4-3 victory over the visiting Seattle Storm. “I was just trying to get the bat on the ball,” Lopez said of the at bat. Luckily, Abde (center fielder Abdejillill Sediki) can run pretty well and it got enough distance to score him. Both Andy McKinney and Rob Thomas had homered earlier. McKinney also stuck a two-out single to score Sediki in the fourth inning.

“The bats were just good enough today,” manager Bill Inkster said to the press after the game. “Like my mom used to say, if a bear ever attacked me, I didn’t have to be the fastest runner to survive—just don’t be the slowest.”

BARNARD A SAVIOR?

While McKinney was named the player of the game, all people wanted to talk about was Barnard, who the club acquired from Omaha for the rotting remains of Hiroyasu Osaragi. Of course, from the Hawk perspective, the body of Barnard was smelling a little off, too. He was 2-10 with a 6.96 ERA and a $10M contract when the Hawks pulled the deal. Since arriving in Yellow Springs, however, Barnard has appeared in 13 games, thrown nearly 27 innings, and posted a 0.67 ERA. Not to mention registering 5 wins and a save against no losses. He’s given up only two runs, one on a solo homer.

Given that Omaha was likely to release Barnard if the deal hadn’t happened, this represents quite a turn around.

“I can’t explain it,” Barnard said when asked what was different. “I’m just comfortable and I’m having fun. Omaha was a great set of guys, but these guys welcomed me from the beginning, and Antonio (pitching coach Antonio Sanchez) was really chill about my numbers. He just said it was time to wipe the slate clean, and that this team was about finding ways to help the club win.”

Some experts are still questioning whether the Nine front office will be able to stomach paying a relief pitcher $10M next year or not, but most in the clubhouse weren’t paying any attention to that question at all.

“I’m trying to put the best team on the field I can,” said assistant GM Fred Morrison. “That’s what the people of Yellow Springs expects of me … um … of everyone associated with the organization.”
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”