9-News: 39.055 – Sullivan Creates Controversy

GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

9-News: 39.055 – Sullivan Creates Controversy

Post by RonCo » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:44 am

CONFUSION IN YELLOW SPRINGS FRONT OFFICE?

For the second straight seasons, Brian Sullivan is creating a stir in the press even as the team is running along in first place. “I can’t help how I feel,” Sullivan told Nine Plus podcaster Frank Gallows last night. “I want to play, and I don’t think I’m ever going to get a chance to do that here.”

The comments were made after the team traded second baseman Miguel Padilla, but called Juan Lopez up from AAA to take his position. Sullivan, a switch hitter who has posted a career best line of .280/.379/.453 at age 29, was expecting to take the full-time job, but again finds himself platooning and playing defense in the late innings.

“The guys are great,” he said to Gallows later after Gallows confirmed Sullivan had directed his representation to ignore advances for a contract extension. “I just need to play.”

Sullivan came to the team as a free agent prior to the 2038 season, and has been the team’s semi-platoon starter against right handed pitching, meaning manager Bill Inkster has been working to match him and Padilla (now Lopez) to face pitchers that accentuate their gifts even within their handedness. He posted 1.2 WAR in 324 plate appearances last year, and is at .7 in only 88 appearances this season. His time on the field has risen as the season has progressed, but it’s obviously not been rising fast enough for Sullivan’s liking.

He’s playing on a contract that pays him $3.25M this year.

FRONT OFFICE DENIES OFFER

“I’m not sure where news of an offer is coming from,” snapped GM Ron Collins earlier this morning. “I think Brian’s doing a great job, and I’d love to talk about keeping him around, but we’ve made no advances to his people, nor have his people reached out to ask for an extension.”

Other insiders say Sullivan’s people did actually contact the team’s executive branch, but the request was to be traded rather than extended.

“So whoever is saying we’re actively pursuing Brain is probably just messing with your head.”

His reaction was particularly interesting in light of rumors of friction between him and assistant GM Fred Morrison that have been running through front office cubicles after the assistant appeared to claim responsibility for trades that brought Adam Barnard and Jose Guerrero onto the team.

NO DISRUPTION FELT

If Sullivan’s outburst is causing issues in the clubhouse, it’s being masked pretty effectively.

“We all understand that this is a business, too,” said outfielder Jose Machado. “Brian has to do what’s best for Brian. As long as it doesn’t change what happens on the field, we’re all behind him.”
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”