9-News: 39.054 – Fernandez Injury Lingers

GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

9-News: 39.054 – Fernandez Injury Lingers

Post by RonCo » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:50 pm

Rookie 1b/DH Miguel Fernandez’s pulled groin continues to cause discomfort during work outs, so the team has announced he’ll spend another week on the disabled list. Fernandez was hitting .333/.354/.473 in a limited, but useful role against left-handed pitching. He’s also a guy who keeps the clubhouse loose—which, in these tense days, is a value of unqualifiable level.

“I’d like him back,” manger Bill Inkster said of the news. “But I talked to him today and told him I didn’t want him at 80%. I need him at 100%. I think he understands.”

Part of the reason Inkster may want hm back is that Pat Allen, who was recalled from AAA to replace Fernandez, had difficulty making contact. After spending last year at AAA due to Alfredo Salazar’s one-season stint, Allen has struggled all of 2039, culminating in news that he’s being returned to Indianapolis in favor of four-year veteran Dimião Laqui. The Brazillian has 33 career homers to go with a .288/.334/.476 slash line.

THOMAS TO BE OPTIONED?

As the trade deadline approaches, rumors surround third baseman Rob Thomas, who has also had difficulty so far. The club is thought to be actively trying to find a place for him on another club, though most insiders suggest the market will be slim. Given that he has options left, and that shortstop Luis Pena appears fully ready, the idea of optioning Thomas back to AAA to work out his issues seems to be taking a spot on the front office’s morning agenda more often.

"At some point you have to decide enough is enough," said an anonymous informant. "I don't care if Thomas has turned three WAR or not. This is a what are you doing for me now business." The team is apparently also looking at making the move to ensure Pena could be eligible for a playoff roster, if such an occasion presents itself.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”