9-News: 39.053 – Mendoza Promoted

GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

9-News: 39.053 – Mendoza Promoted

Post by RonCo » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:08 pm

Will Bombastic Teenager See September Call-up?
It’s been a big week for little Ricardo Mendoza. Last year’s second round pick (64th overall) drew attention as he raced through rookie and short A ball as a 17-year-old. He’s shown no signs of slowing down this year, having crushed A-Ball pitching (7 homers, .284/.313/.600) before obliterating AA pitching (29 homers, .3767/.436/.851). Yes, fans, that’s 36 homers and 102 RBI in 82 games. This week he was named the Rupert Horn Memorial League’s DRK Player of the week for the second week in a row, and been informed that he’s to report to AAA Indianapolis to start what will almost certainly be a very short term in Downforce red and blue.

At 5’10”, you’d be hard pressed to see his power when he’s in his street clothes. I mean, the kid everyone calls “Moo” (a name he god as a kid when he kept telling people to “Mo over, I’m coming through”) looks a lot more like a point guard than a slugger. “He’s got tremendous strength in his wrists, though,” said AAA hitting coach Emilo Rodriguez. “All you have to do is watch the kind of bat speed he generates to understand what he’s about.”

He’s also apparently about foot speed. Despite only 7 steals in 10 attempts this season, teammates say he can beat anyone in a race. He’s also apparently about pop music and girls, not necessarily in that order.

“You can tell he’s eighteen,” said Santa Clara beat reporter Bob Mendoza. “It’s not that he’s reckless, but he’s just got all this talent, and he’s a strong kid, and handsome, too. You know what I mean. He can sign a little, and when you’re gregarious and work hard you just attract people.”

By people, he means girls.

The only real question at this point is how long he’ll be attracting girls in Indianapolis before he shows up in Yellow Springs. The fact is that he’s really ready to play there now, but the Nine have a guy named Andy McKinney in left field, and a guy named George Robertson at DH, and a guy named Lucas McNeill at 1B. You might have heard of those guys. If none of those were true statements, there’s no doubt that girls in Indy wouldn’t even have a chance to find him. Alas for girls in Yellow Springs, barring injury, they’ll have to wait a little while at least. Probably September, anyway.

“I’m just going to hit,” Mendoza said with a 100-watt smile when asked what he thinks about going to Indy rather than Yellow Springs. “If I keep hitting, I figure I’ll get there.”
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”