9-News: 38.133 – Machado, Stone Bring Home Hardware

GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

9-News: 38.133 – Machado, Stone Bring Home Hardware

Post by RonCo » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:30 pm

Image With only a few votes remaining to be cast, it appears all but certain that Nine right fielder Jose Machado will be named the Frick League’s Gillstrom award recipient as Rookie of the Year. Machado has reaped 29 of 30 first place votes, with Boise pitcher Dave Walsh snaring the other.

Even more impressive was the unanimous vote of Nine catcher Aaron Stone as the Frick League’s Puckett Silver Slugger Award for catchers. It was the first such award for Stone, who is a four-time All-Star who was the Frick League’s Gillstrom winner in 2032.

“I’m really thrilled,” Machado (22) said by phone as the news circulated. “Now I can match notes with Andy.” In this case, “Andy” is close friend Andy McKinney, the Nine outfielder who won the award last season. Machado hit .294 and posted a gaudy 1.026 OPS (162 OPS+) in 119 games in 2038, blasting 36 homers and getting on base an eye-popping 40% of his plate appearances. He was drafted in the 2nd round of the 2033 selection process, #60 overall.

“He’s a major league hitter,” said hitting coach Sam Brewington. “I love his balance and his plate discipline.” Machado walked nearly as often as he struck out (66 BB, 69 K) in this campaign. He looks to become a fixture in the club’s future.

"I think its a testament to the team's approach to their system that you see it yielding these kinds of results," said BBA Weekly reporter Paula Mears. "The Nine haven't drafted in the bottom half of the league for a longtime now, but they've had three Gillstrom winners in the past 7 years."

Having been with the team for seven seasons now, Stone (28) is no stranger to Nine fans. He hit 28 homers in 527 plate appearances in 2038, adding a .381 OBP to the mix that was good for 135 wRC+. Arguably, his 2035 was a better offensive season, but that one came at a time when Cisco Arreola was still a power in the Frick League. “I’m happy to be recognized,” Stone said, laughing. “And I’m for damned sure not going to see a Zimmer.”

His defense is, admittedly a sight to behold, and as he grows older the team has been attempting to find ways to keep him away from the backstop’s role, including substituting for him late in games. He caught 106 games last season, but that translated to a career-low 791 innings.

The veteran catcher has three more seasons on his contract that pays him $14.6M per seasons, the last being a team option.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”