9-News: 38.126 – Top Prospect to Get Tutor

GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

9-News: 38.126 – Top Prospect to Get Tutor

Post by RonCo » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:34 pm

While fans of the team have been clamoring for the appearance of Dong-po Thum for a year now—a clamoring that has included everything from social media sit-ins to composing Pop-music lyrics to kayoke songs (“Dong-po City,” sung to the tune of Mikki Manning’s “Carry Me Back To New London City” has even gone viral).The team took a patient approach, however, part of which was the fact that the 21-year-old’s power has yet to arrive, and part of which was because, as one insider said “man, he was dense.”

Thum, from China, has had some difficulty adjusting to life in America, both culturally and due to the language, something the team tried to move alone last off-season by hiring the growing superstar a tutor. Word today comes that the team will be sending Thum back to school again soon, specifically to learn the language enough to at least be able to spout clichés.

“Dong-po figured out that he really only needed to know a few words to answer about anyone’s questions,” said AAA manager Keith Higgins. “Once he got there, he became a lot more comfortable spouting things like: I got a pitch I could handle, and I handled it, and it’s really all about my teammates, because without them I couldn’t play very well.

Rumors are that, on recommendation from the LaLoosh’s, the Nine have reached out to hire one aging Crash Davis to allow the kid to shadow him, thereby working on the clichés. The contract has a kicker that pays Davis more if his wife, Annie—an English and poetry teacher in her day and and still an aficionado of great literature—takes time to teach Thum more of the language. Davis, who was rumored to be on his death bed earlier this season, managed to get out of the hospital for old-timers day at the minor league park this year, where he drilled a homer over the bull and hung them up. “I just thank the powers that got me here,” he said after the game, proving that he’s still got it. “Good lord willin’ I’ll hang them up again next year.”

Assuming the education takes, the team is expecting Thum to be ready for spring training, and likely to be the club’s starting shortstop come April.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

indiansfan
BBA GM

Re: 9-News: 38.126 – Top Prospect to Get Tutor

Post by indiansfan » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:40 pm

Maybe he can sit down with my rookie Mao and solve the China vs Taiwan problems. And yes I need to change Mao's nickname from Merlin to "The Chairman".
Kevin

Calgary Pioneers 2004-
BBA Landis Champs 2018, 21
FL Champs 2018, 21, 39
FL Pacific Champs: 2016, 19, 21, 34
FL Frontier Champs 2039
FL WC 2018, 26-29, 31-32, 35
JL WC 2040, 41, 44
FL MOY 2019, 34
JL MOY 2044

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director