9-News: 38.046 – Bullpen Boosted

GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

9-News: 38.046 – Bullpen Boosted

Post by RonCo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:57 am

Lugo Looks to Lasso Landis
The Heartland division-leading Yellow Springs Nine announced tonight that they had acquired an additional part for their pitching staff. It was not, however, what you might have thought, because after an intensive quest for a starting hurler, the club instead has swapped 25-year-old reliever Luis Moreida (1-0, 1 save, 1.23) for 29 year-old Vancouver closer Rodrigo Lugo.

Lugo is expected to step into more of a set-up role than his preferred job as closer. He was still ecstatic to hear of the deal. “I’ll always love Vancouver, but I’m getting to the point where I never know how much longer I can play. To go to a competitor like Yellow Springs is great. It's everyone's dream to play for a Landis title.”

Lugo has been with the Mounties since his arrival as a 24-year-old rookie, but in recent years has fought a string of injuries that has kept him off the field, including a ruptured disk that shut him down last June. The medical staff suggests that he’s fully recovered from that damage, however, and Lugo has accumulated 13 saves and a 3.10 ERA—though his FIP is an ugly 6.10. He’s due $4.2M this season, prorated, and will be looking for a deal next year.

To get Lugo, the team sent Vancouver a younger but untested arm. Moreida was highly effective for two seasons in AAA Indianapolis, a trait that has followed him to the big leagues. He has a reputation for struggling against left-handed hitters, but being poison for righties. He made the club this spring by performance, but team followers also note that he was out of options, which forced the Nine front office a bit. That said, he's got five seasons of team control remaining.

“We rely on our bullpen, and Rodrigo gives us a lot of flexibility,” said manager Bill Inkster. “He’s a hard-nosed competitor, and a guy we think will fit into our culture well. The fans should love him.”

Lugo is expected to join the team in Seattle and be ready for action in the team's three-game series against the Storm.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”