9-News: 38.043 – Is McNeill Back?

GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

9-News: 38.043 – Is McNeill Back?

Post by RonCo » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:59 pm

Mikki Manning Visit Boosts Spirits, Fans Beginning to Believe?

The news for Lucas McNeill hadn’t been particularly positive over past year. As the two-time Silk winner fell into disrepair rumors ranging from Mad Cow disease to D-I-V-O-R-C-E, to pure apathy circulated. “The best was the National Enquirer reporting that aliens ate my bats,” he says while sitting in the Boise airport and waiting for the flight home. His team had just swept a three game series in which he went 5-11 with a pair of walks, stealing two bases and walking twice. On the season, his numbers are a very McNeillian collection: 13 homers, .319/.389/.594, nine steals in 12 attempts. Ten minutes earlier, he kissed is pop-star wife goodbye as she went on to her next tour stop in Vancouver, ironically where the two first met.

Yes, life is easier for McNeill now than they were this time a year ago.

“I’m getting older, that’s for sure,” he said. “But I think I have a little baseball in front of me.”

Nine fans certainly hope so, and his teammates all say it’s true.

Of course, no one is commenting on the elephant sized invisible rabbit in the room—that being that McNeill is playing in s mini-platoon recently, sitting against the occasional tough left-hander in favor of taking advantage of back-up catcher Nate Wood’s superior defense behind the plate. Manager Bill Inkster has seen fit to give the superstar only 42 plate appearances against left-handers, though team insiders say they hope to see McNeill back to his full switch hitting ways soon. “He’s seeing some guys now,” one anonymous voice said. “everyone’s expecting he’ll ease back into it now that he’s hitting again.”

Instead of the elephantine invisible rabbit, though, what people are talking about is the fact that McNeill is back to being the high pressure hitter that folks remember him as. They mention he’s hitting .405 with runners in scoring position, for example, and that he’s .444 in the last three innings of games--.500 in extra innings. He’s been in 0-2 counts fifteen times this season, and come away with five hits, three of them homers.

“I’m feeling pretty dialed in now,” he says as he sips an iced tea and looks up at the departure board where it says the flight is delayed 20 minutes. “It feels good. I felt great in camp, but came into the cold weather and just couldn’t shake it out right, I guess. But it came back. You had to figure it would.”

No, Lucas, says the average fan. When you’re a Nine fan you don’t assume anything but losing baseball in October. And the fact is, you assume losing baseball anyway because while the team has always been good in the McNeill years, if you’re a True Nine Fan, you know it hasn’t always been like that. You know what you know, and you don’t assume jack is coming back except the long, dark losing road of despair.

But now Lucas McNeill seems to be back to the form the rest of the world is familiar with, perhaps Nine fans will be able to fold those memories up and put them behind them again. Lock them up in their tight little specimen jars and forget them.

For a while, anyway.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

niles08
BBA GM

Re: 9-News: 38.043 – Is McNeill Back?

Post by niles08 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:18 pm

I think it's safe to say he never really left, but instead simply checked out for a season. I think his .474 average in high leverage situations alone is top notch and something that shouldn't be overlooked.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”