9-News: 37.080 – Fernandez Debut One For Scrapbook

GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

9-News: 37.080 – Fernandez Debut One For Scrapbook

Post by RonCo » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:23 am

With Yellow Springs Nine fans hope brimming, rookie Miguel Fernandez stepped onto the field for his first big league game, penciled in as a designated hitter against Boise. The club sat at 68-70, struggling to get back to the magical .500 mark, and Fernandez was a late-season call-up that the front office had touted as a big league hitter. Fans were curious, if not a bit skeptical. Fernandez wasn’t a high-profile guy, after all. He’d come only from the third round of a draft so far back that only the most strident fans could recall it. Yeah yeah, folks had all heard about the .306/.372/.520 line he’d posted in Indianapolis this year. What have you done for me here, though?

The immigrant kid from Alpharetta, Georgia grounded out to short in his first at bat, but his second resulted in a liner down the left field line that made the wall, good for a double. Fernandez would later score on Anibal Moran’s base hit. Two innings later, Moran drove another liner to right for a base hit. He struck out swinging to lead off the 8th and with the team down a run, but he got a chance to redeem himself an inning later, coming to the plate with two on and two out and the score still stuck at Boise 5, Yellow Springs 4. Fernandez hopped on the first pitch, a sinker from Caleb Benevides, and ripped a rocket grounder down the line at third, good for a double that scored both runners.

Teammates mobbed him as he walked off the field.

Final box score: 3-5, two doubles, 1 run, two key RBI. Best of all, the Nine stood at 69-70, just a game shy of that .500 mark.

“I was happy that I didn’t let the fans down,” Fernandez said.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

bschr682
Ex-GM

Re: 9-News: 37.080 – Fernandez Debut One For Scrapbook

Post by bschr682 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:28 am

RonCo wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:23 am
The immigrant kid from Alpharetta, Georgia
How is he an immigrant if he is an American born in Georgia?
GM Vancouver Mounties

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: 9-News: 37.080 – Fernandez Debut One For Scrapbook

Post by RonCo » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:32 am

I guess I should rephrase to an immigrant's kid.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”