9-News: 37.076 – Has John Ginn Turned a New Page?

GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

9-News: 37.076 – Has John Ginn Turned a New Page?

Post by RonCo » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:49 pm

After a tumultuous career as a young phenom with high expectations (that were never met), it appears that YS9 outfielder John Ginn has emerged from AAA Indianapolis this last time with a new game face.

“This is pretty much his last shot, you’d think,” said Nine broadcast announcer Melissa Lester back in July when Ginn was recalled due to an injury to another player. Ginn, now 24, had been with the club in April and May and hadn’t been able to break 50% of the Mendoza line. Since his recall, however, Ginn has gone to the plate 67 times and managed 22 hits (to go with 6 walks and a sacrifice bunt). It all adds up to a .367 average with 6 doubles and a pair of triples as sprinkles on top. It’s enough that his overall numbers are beginning to look a little like a real baseball player’s, and enough that he’s finally got some scouts taking a new assessment of his skill-set.

“He could still work on his patience,” said one of the Nine’s baseball men, “but he’s looking a lot more comfortable at the plate right now. Sam’s (pitching coach Sam Brewington) clearly working hard on his base mechanics, focusing on contact and drive.” Whatever Brewington is doing, it’s working. On the other hand, it’s could also be a bit on Ginn himself, who’s been known in the past to be a bit focused on himself, but folks say has come into the clubhouse with a little more sense of his situation.

Regardless, the results are happening on the field, as Ginn has just laid down a pair of 2-hit games against Long Beach this past series.

“I like working with Sam,” Ginn said. “He’s been here before, and he’s talking about things I understand.”

To be clear, Ginn’s resurgence is probably too late for this year, but it has team officials looking at him more closely for a position next year—which would be a big deal, since the team has had trouble with their right handed bats in the outfield this year, with both the now departed Carlos Camacho and Pat Allen struggling much of the year (not to mention Ginn himself). If GInn has managed to grow into the kind of player the Nine were hoping he was when they acquired him from Des Moines a few years back, that could make things a little brighter in 2038.

“I want to play,” Ginn said. “That’s my dream. Big league player. That’s always been the goal.”
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

ae37jr
BBA GM

Re: 9-News: 37.076 – Has John Ginn Turned a New Page?

Post by ae37jr » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:39 pm

I still think you need to acquire this guy and platoon him with Ginn. If nothing else, it will make for some great articles.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:33 pm

Short answer. No. Although the ratings conversion does make him look a bit better. He's also another clubhouse personality disaster. How many of those do/did you have this year? You should dump them all, make no other changes, and see if YS completely rebounds next season.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:43 pm

Yeah... he's had two talent bumps since the conversion... and I have my magic ppt wants if I want to use it.
Roster

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:44 pm

We just got rid of one in camacho.
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”