9-News: 37.032 – Tawk To Be Inducted

GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

9-News: 37.032 – Tawk To Be Inducted

Post by RonCo » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:21 pm

Reaching into the distant past again, the Yellow Springs Nine organization used a community luncheon event as a springboard to announce that they would induct third baseman Carl “Talk The” Tawk into the franchise’s Hall of Fame. Tawk was a solid performer with the club for nine seasons, breaking in as a 21-year-old in 1987. He’s still on several of the franchise’s leaderboards, including

His career numbers with the franchise, .286/.362/.411, were good for 29.4 WAR during his time with the club, which ended with a trade to Hackensack in 1995, where he continued to have great seasons. He finished his career with a solid year at California—finishing with a career total of nearly 48 WAR. Not quite BBA HoF material, but indicative of his value.

“He was more speedster than power guy, but he got around to second base pretty good,” said current manager Bret Richards. “I remember him pretty well. Great with the glove, too. Maybe we can get him to suit up again?”

Tawk grew up in Council Bluffs, Iowa, and currently makes his home in a retirement community in Phoenix, where the club played during his stint. “It’s a great place,” he said. “I do a lot of wood working and flying radio controlled planes.” He said he still watches baseball, and still cheers on the Nine. “I know I didn’t play in Ohio, but still it’s a great franchise. It’s an honor to be inducted.”

The formal date of his induction is still being determined, but is thought to be likely focused on a game around time of the All-Star break.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Ted
Ex-GM

Re: 9-News: 37.032 – Tawk To Be Inducted

Post by Ted » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:44 pm

That's a nice jersey he's wearing. (Not really, my logo and jerseys are among the worst in the league. But I always spend all my PP's on other stuff, so I doubt I'll ever get around to replacing them.)
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Post by recte44 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:21 pm

I actually consider the Crusaders jerseys to be classic, just my opinion.

Back to topic- Tawk was a really nice player and it's good to see some of the older players get some press.

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:01 pm

Yeah, I kind of like those uniforms. And I admit I'm enjoying walking back through the Nine's history.
Roster

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:50 pm

RonCo wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:01 pm
Yeah, I kind of like those uniforms. And I admit I'm enjoying walking back through the Nine's history.
You guys are nuts. What's to like about a bland single entirely white jersey, with the only accent being three rows of striping at the neck and a logo that looks like a cheap patch on the left breast? Don't even get me started on the mock turtleneck undershirt with the totally unnecessary cross. Every piece of character of this jersey is in the top third of it, most in the neck and the rest is horribly bland. And then there's the hat with an entirely too large and complicated THIRD DIFFERENT LOGO that bears little resemblance to either of the other two. Oh and by the way, the team's (also hideously complicated and ugly colored) official logo bears NO RESEMBLANCE TO ANY OF THE THREE ON THE UNIFORM).

I'm a fan of retro jerseys, but this thing is a design disaster. It's somehow bland, needlessly complex, and uncoordinated.

A better version would keep the blue undershirt, replace the striping at the neck with a single thin yellow/gold line that traded down the seams on vertically on the chest in two lines (or you could swap the blue and gold of the shirts and piping). You'd then have to find a way to get the interlocking C's somewhere more towards the middle of the chest or at least connecting to it, possibly trailing from some scripting. Dump entirely the unnecessary state of California outline. Really? We'er just gonna put the whole state outline on the chest?

Anyway, I've thought about this a lot over the years, but like I said, I'll probably never spend the PP's. So you guys can continue to enjoy it. To each their own.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:39 pm

Simple and uncluttered.
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”