9-News: 37.016 – Nine Win On The Road

GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

9-News: 37.016 – Nine Win On The Road

Post by RonCo » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:36 pm

Opening Day: Yellow Springs 11 – Omaha 1
All the gears were meshing as the Yellow Springs Nine opened their season at the park of their Heartland Division rival, Omaha. Carlos Valle (1-0) threw effectively into the sixth inning, and left-handed reliever Momcilo Djuretic was even more effective, throwing only 44 pitches to close out the next three-plus innings. Offensively, the team was efficient, wringing 11 runs out of 9 hits and 4 walks. Rookie first baseman Jose Garci had two hits, and fellow-rookie Andy McKinney scored twice.

The Nine’s 11-1 victory brought relieved grins around the clubhouse.

“We needed this,” Valle said. The hard-throwing right-hander is entering his third year with the team. "That first game is like one of those things in the mirror that's bigger than it looks."

Game 2: Omaha 7 – Yellow Springs 5
Early optimism was quashed when the Hawks Martin Marin and Emilio Morales both took Nine rookie Ernesto Ramos deep in the third inning.

Manager Bret Richards was pragmatic about the 7-5 loss. “Everything gelled yesterday,” he said. “But it seemed like we were paddling uphill the whole way today. Reminds me of the time my brother and I were trying to sell Girl Scout cookies door-to-door.”

There were positive signs, though. Ramos, for example, was oddly solid in his debut start—he got through his 8 innings using only 90 pitches, striking out four, walking none, and allowing only 8 hits. Unfortunately, 4 of those 8 were homers. Offensively, the Nine outhit the Hawks 13-9. They had multiple chances to do damage, but left 10 men on base. “It happens sometimes,” Richards said. “But I like the team’s approach. Even though we left runs on the table, we got 5 today, and that will win a lot of games. It’s a long season.”

Something tells us that selling a loss as a good thing to fans is about the definition of fighting an uphill battle, but the facts are the facts.

Game 3: Omaha 8 – Yellow Springs 6
While the bats rang up 5 scores today, Hiroyasu Osaragi was solid for six innings but couldn’t get out of the seventh. The club’s bullpen didn’t help, rookie Adergazoz Ouakili and Curt Phillips combining to allow three runs on a walk and two homers. The loss spoiled three-hit days from Miguel Padilla and George Robertson, as well as a massive 406-foot blast from Horrible Bob Frazier.

“It’s a tough place to pitch,” said Osaragi after the game. “The ball flies here, and those guys with the bats are pretty good.”

The loss meant the Nine left Omaha and headed to San Fernando with a 1-2 record. They’ll play three games there, then bus down to Long Beach for three before finally heading back to Yellow Springs for their home opener.

"I always love taking the bus," said rookie Andy McKinney, who has all of four games under his major league belt. "It reminds me of where I came from."

Game 4: Yellow Springs 8 – San Fernando 3
Horrible Bob Frazier clubbed a first-inning grand slam off Bear starter Jon Reed, and the Nine never looked back. Veteran Jose Chavez (1-0) struck out 4 and allowed three runs in seven and two-thirds for the victory, and Jose Garcia drove a pair of balls into the seats.

Veteran left fielder Jorge Rodriguez stole his fifth and sixth bases on the year.

“This game is easier when everything works,” manager Bret Richards said. “But when you look over to the other dugout and see guys like Gillstrom and Wei and everyone else, you know it’s never over. I mean, that’s the team that was playing for the Landis last year. Every win you can get here is a blessing.”

Game 5: Yellow Springs 4 – San Fernando 3
“Veteran” hitters Aaron Stone and Rob Thomas each contributed home runs and drove in all four runs in support of starter Tim Oliver and five relievers as the Nine took a critical game on the road. Thomas had four hits on the day, and defensively the infield turned a pair of double plays to nip rallies in the bud.

“It’s good to win a close one,” Bret Richards said. “Timmy O did a great job with the start, and our bullpen came through with four and a third solid innings against an offense that can score them pretty quick.”

Oliver left with no decision, but allowed only two runs on four hits (and three walks) in the outing. Momcilo Djuretic was credited with the victory. Emilio Gutierrez pitched the last two innings for his first save. The victory left the team 3-2 on the road against two of the top teams in the Frick League. They expect to send right hander Carlos Valle to the mound tomorrow, likely to face the Bear’s ace starter Feliciano Rafael.

“It should be a good one,” said Nine second baseman Horrible Bob Frazier. “I’m looking forward to it.”
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”