9-News: 36.042 – De Castillo Not Letting Injury Slow Him Down

GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

9-News: 36.042 – De Castillo Not Letting Injury Slow Him Down

Post by RonCo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:52 pm

YS9 infielder Angel De Castillo sprained his knee nearly a week ago while legging out a base hit, but he’s not letting it slow him down any. In the four games since incurring the injury, he’s 4-11 with a double and a homer.

“I’m having fun,” he says. “No way I’m coming out just because I get a little swollen up sometimes.”

Having fun may be the understatement of the year. De Castillo is sitting on numbers that threaten to be his career best if he can keep them up: 16 homers, .303/.374/.527, already good for 2.6 WAR. Numbers good enough that some are suggesting he’s in the running for his third all-star appearance, and possibly his second Puckett, though the competition is tough, especially given that he’s played both second base and third base this season.

“I’m happy to go out wherever Bret says he needs me.”

One concern is to wonder how much of his latest sprain is a remnant of the sprain he suffered in mid-May, and to note that he appeared to aggravate the injury the following day. That aspect of the situation has made the team’s front office consider placing him on the DL for the following sim…or perhaps at least sit him on the bench for a few days to protect their asset.

“We know Angel wants to play,” said assistant GM Jim Pickett. “But we’ve got to decide what’s best for everyone involved.”

That his output is being made in a contract run hasn’t been lost on anyone. The 28-year-old is making $6.8M in his last arbitration season, and is due for free agency next year. He’s said that he’d like to be a Nine for a while longer, but a lot obviously depends on the finances. His chances of being with the club next year depend a bit on how the Nine front office plays the game with teammates Lawrence Columbus LaLoosh and Lucas McNeill, though the deals for those two are more about whether they will waive their opt-out clauses for more money in the out years than any short-term ramifications.

“I’m optimistic,” De Castillo said.

If he keeps these numbers up, fans will be optimistic, too.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”