2054.10 Yellow Springs Nine Signs Two to International Deals

GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

Trebro
BBA GM

2054.10 Yellow Springs Nine Signs Two to International Deals

Post by Trebro » Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:12 pm

March 23, 2054

Yellow Springs, OH – The Yellow Springs Nine announced today they'd signed two young starting pitchers to international bonus contracts today, likely wrapping up their use of the international signing period.

While other teams drank deeply in the well, signing players to bonuses of five, ten and even thirteen million dollars, GM Rob McMonigal opted to follow the same strategy as last year: Identify value candidates and preserve the ability to participate in the signing period year in and year out.

"I am well aware that each of us brings our own knowledge, background, and strategies," said McMonigal, "but I fully admit that I'm flabergasted by the payouts this year on some of the players. We'd certainly scouted them, and I refuse to confirm or deny that we made offers. But to put that much resources in with no guarantee how the player will turn out is something I'm unlikely to do."

The players McMonigal did sign were as follows:

SP Recber Estoy, $2,545,479. The 16 year old from Turkey scored high marks from scouts for being driven to achieve, not just pick up the highest payday. His curveball is his best pitch, projected to be above average when all is said and done, leading an arsenal that includes a fastball and a splitter, neither of which is as strong as one would like, but at just 16, there's time to grow them. His endurance is strong, being able to pitch entire games if needed, but he may give some of that up to put an extra edge on the speed of his pitches. Estoy has above-average stuff and projects to solid movement.

The big question mark is his control. He's still very wild (one scout commented on how he threw several pitches over the backstop on a demonstration day), so reigning in his control is going to be paramount to whether he makes it to the BBA or flames out in the low minors.

"I am so happy to be signed by a Brewster team,' said Estoy through an interpreter. "We had hoped for one with a better record, but I am sure they will be a better team when I am on it!"

SP Abdul Aliyy Bin Imran, $1,250,411. A little shy of his 17th birthday, the young man from Egypt has nothing but good marks in all of his files, from the academic to the infield. He's known for worrying less about outside influences and focusing on being the best baseball player he can be, putting in extra time throwing to any batter who wants extra practice. Playing on a local academy team, Bin Imram was offered a chance, for pay no less, to move to a bigger traveling squad. He declined, telling his family "I am loyal to my teammates. I won't abandon them." Despite the lower signing bonus, international scouts think he has a better, clearer path to the Brewster, albeit strictly as a relief pitcher.

The difference is likely because the fastball is the young man's bread and butter, with the pitch already at an average level and looking to improve. His second pitch is a knuckle-curve, not often seen in Egypt, which he's honing so well scouts think it can be a deadly second pitch that will offset the fastball. He also theoretically throws a changeup, but the less said about it the better. Bin Imran will need to work hard to improve his mechanics. Neither his stuff, control, or movement are very good right now, leading to imperfect results in games, but scouts feel strongly he can improve them to a level that will give him a shot at the bigs.

"After the first wave of big deals, I thought maybe I would have to hope for a tryout somewhere or maybe see if anyone wanted me in the GBC. But then McMonigal flew in personally to offer my parents the contract, and, well, here we are! Let's see how it goes. I'm excited to get started!"

Both players will start 2054 in the Yellow Springs Nine international complex, where they are likely to remain for several years before moving on to rookie ball, getting the chance to show they were worth the money. They'll work with special instructors on all aspects of their game, get used to the routine of being a professional ball player, and even get a chance to be flown up for a homestand later in the year.

"I look forward to following the careers of these young men as they become pieces of the picture for the Nine," said McMonigal. "We can't guarantee them anything beyond the chance. What they do with it is up to them."
Rob McMonigal
Yellow Springs Nine Sep 2052 - ????

London Monarchs Aug 2052 - Sep 2052

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Re: 2054.10 Yellow Springs Nine Signs Two to International Deals

Post by Dington » Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:20 pm

Recber Estoy what?!?
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*