9-News: 37.014 – Lester, Franklin to Broadcast Nine

GM: Rob McMonigal

Moderator: Trebro

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

9-News: 37.014 – Lester, Franklin to Broadcast Nine

Post by RonCo » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:33 am

Image The Yellow Springs Nine front office announced today that it was taking the unprecedented step of hiring two fake podcasters to be the voice of their broadcast team. “It’s a dream come true,” said Melissa Lester, half owner of Nine-Talk. “We’re both really stoked to be able to go on road trips and not have to pay the bill,” added Frankie Franklin, the other half.

After dropping out of broadcasting school, the two decided to go it their own. Since the debut of their podcast several years ago, they have become an established voice of the Yellow Springs fan over the past several seasons, releasing daily podcasts in which they talk about far-ranging information up and down the organization (their most recent edition includes the cooking practices of minor leaguer Cipriano Riviera, and a conversation with new bench coach David Johnston). "They are true fans, and don't even try to hide it," said Frosh Emmanuel, a mason at the local brick store. "It's great to hear the unvarnished truth."

Some suggest the decision to hire the duo was an attempt to shut the pair up, as they have occasionally released critical pods that have made matters worse for the front office.

“There’s nothing in our contract that says we have to turn our brains off or keep our mouths shut,” said Lester. “So we don’t plan on doing that.”

Franklin went on to say that the duo plans to keep Nine-Talk going, but that now they’ll be able to hire a producer to do the harder work of packaging and releasing the broadcast.

REDUCED MEDIA CONTRACT?

The news of this hiring is intriguing because it comes on the heels of a reduction of the team’s local media contract, announced last Christmas. The local networks have been paying a few based on the idea that the club might be going to the Landis, but with early knock-outs in the Geoghegan and Doubleday rounds, the financial grunt hasn’t precipitated itself.

“Faced with limited funds, Lester and Franklin seemed like the best option,” said assistant GM Phillip Watson.

"We don't really care why we were hired," Lester said. "We're just going to go out and have fun talking about baseball. That's been our approach since the beginning. Everything else will just work out."
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

7teen
BBA GM

Re: 9-News: 37.014 – Lester, Franklin to Broadcast Nine

Post by 7teen » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:14 pm

All of this podcast talk and fake media stuff gives me the chance to mention how great it's been for me this past year. I've been given the chance to broadcast our HS sporting events over youtube. Yeah, it's not a huge deal but I've had a blast. Me and a buddy did all 5 home football games this season and the one playoff game they played.

This past Monday I got to do both the girls and boys basketball games.

I had wanted to go into broadcasting in college but went a safer route and chose teaching. IT was the right call, but doing these games has been a lot of fun. I learned Monday that being a play by play guy for basketball is 10 times harder than football. The hardest part for us though is we don't take any breaks. So between quarters, half times, and post-games are all done continuously.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: 9-News: 37.014 – Lester, Franklin to Broadcast Nine

Post by RonCo » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:24 pm

Very cool. Glad you're getting a chance to have fun like that.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”