09.03: The Search for the Next Barnstormer Manager Ends

GM: Fred Holmes

Moderator: Rubaboo

agrudez
Ex-GM

09.03: The Search for the Next Barnstormer Manager Ends

Post by agrudez » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:40 pm

News came down today that the Barnstormers’ search for a new manager is over, with the Omaha brass electing to promote from within instead of pursuing outside options. Enter John Ganzel, whom spent the last 2 seasons in AAA Halifax, compiling a 110-150 record. Reports indicate that he handles rookies very well while also not alienating veterans in the process – something that the current mix in Omaha needs as there are just as many young, fresh faced players as grizzled veterans on the roster.

Most notably, Ganzel has been given quite a bit of praise for the development of ’08 JL RotY candidate 1B Miguel Toro and, perhaps the biggest surprise of this past season for the Barnstormer, 1B/DH Cornell Litchfield whom spent 0.5 and 2 seasons with Ganzel respectively.

When news broke, Toro had this to say about his former (and current) manager, “I’m very excited that John is going to be coming to the big club. For me, personally, he was the biggest catalyst for my current career success. Out of college I struggled mightily in AA [at age 22 and 23 Toro posted a .638 and .757 OPS respectively] and was lucky to get the promotion I did in the 2007 season to AAA where coach Ganzel showed me so much [Toro ended up with a .945 OPS in 122 ABs]. Without him, I honestly don’t think I’d be in the majors today – I owe him a lot.”

Likewise, Litchfield had this to say, “You know, coach Ganzel is probably the only person in the entire Barnstormer org that didn’t give up on me. He had faith in me, when no one else did, and that was huge for me. I credit him with all of my success this past season in the majors and am ecstatic to be reunited with him.”

Glowing reviews from some of Omaha’s youngest hitters, no doubt, but it remains to be seen how Ganzel can adapt from AAA to the majors – and get across to some of the Barnstormers’ stronger veteran personalities. Entering the final year of his contract with the organization, this upcoming season will no doubt be the most important of the manager’s career – and will go a long way to defining what type of manager he is for the future, whether it be here or elsewhere.

One thing that will no doubt make the new manager's job easier is assurance that lauded pitching coach Jason Bartlett (the man many consider most responsible for the resurgence of AS SP Luis Luna) has avoicded lame-duck status for the '09 season by inking an extension to stay in Omaha for the foreseeable future.
League Director: Kyle “agrudez” Stever*
*Also serves as chief muckraker
-Ron, 2025 media guide

trmmilwwi
BBA GM

Re: 09.03: The Search for the Next Barnstormer Manager Ends

Post by trmmilwwi » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:51 pm

Somehow we have to fit the AAAA thought into a witty response... alas I am too drained to think of one.
trmmilwwi - GM San Antonio Outlaws
MBWBA Manager of the Year FL 2010, JL 2016, JL 2018

agrudez
Ex-GM

Post by agrudez » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:04 pm

Haha, year... he is definitely a AAAA manager. Hopefully the pool is restocked next offseason and I can go for broke for a true stand out (should've done that this year, but I 'cheaped out' by offering exactly the coach's demand).
-Ron, 2025 media guide

agrudez
Ex-GM

Post by agrudez » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:44 pm

Well, then! That is good news.
-Ron, 2025 media guide

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic