2057.5: Aztecs Move to Secure Core

GM: Fred Holmes

Moderator: Rubaboo

Rubaboo
BBA GM

2057.5: Aztecs Move to Secure Core

Post by Rubaboo » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:23 am

Even with the ink still damp on Felix Roman's extension, Aztec GM Fred Holmes has not slowed the feverish pace to start the Aztec offseason. Reports out of Mexico City indicate that Aztec brass has agreed in principle to contract extensions with Fernando Moreno, Dave Corfield, and Richard Lawrence, locking up the heart of the Aztec organization for multiple years. Details on the contracts are still a bit murky but all parties are optimistic that these three players will remain in Mexico City for the long term.

Corfield needs no introduction. Arguably the best pitcher of this generation, he's done nothing but dominate since being selected #7 by Mexico City in 2046. The team executed their club option on his current deal for 2058 (duh...) and immediately moved to the negotiating table to lock Corfield up for another 6 years. The proposed extension apparently includes a pay cut of all things, with Corfield making sure the team has the ability to remain competitive going forward, includes a no trade clause, and will keep the lefty in Mexico City through his age 39 season.

Moreno has done what folks in the Aztec front office once thought unthinkable during the course of his career: He has arguably replaced Juan Pablo as 'Mr. Aztec'. Despite an injury ravaged 2057, Moreno remained effective when he was in the lineup and the team eagerly sat down with his reps to keep him in Mexico City with the objective of him being a one franchise player.

Lawrence is maybe not a core player, as a reliever, but there's no doubt that his presence around the back end of the Aztec bullpen made the team move very swiftly to make sure he wouldn't test the market. Reports indicate a 6 year pact in the pipeline for Lawrence, at a rate that again works very nicely for the team's future viability.

The team still has an offseason wishlist to attend to, but locking up these three players on reasonable deals definitely checks a few of the early boxes and produces some excitement going into 2058 despite playoff disappointment. Should be interesting to see how the team continues to build around their core going forward.

*Personally, I'm thrilled to be able to lock up Corfield and Moreno. Coupled with Roman's extension, I'm pumped that all these guys are going to be around for another handful of seasons. Gotta do my due diligence to make sure I can reward them by staying competitive! Go Aztecs!*
Fred Holmes
General Manager
Mexico City Aztecs - BBA

BBA Champs - 2052
JL Champs - 2027, 2052
JL MW Champs - 2022, 2023, 2024, 2027
JL Sun Belt Champs - 2035, 2036, 2038
JL Frontier Champs - 2051, 2052
JL Manager of the Year - 2023, 2024, 2026, 2052

Return to “Mexico City Aztecs”