2056.2: That Guy

GM: Fred Holmes

Moderator: Rubaboo

Rubaboo
BBA GM

2056.2: That Guy

Post by Rubaboo » Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:54 am

Mersha Njau has been that guy for a long time in Los Cabos. That guy who's always available. That guy who doesn't complain. That guy the younger guys look up to. Even as it became obvious that his career was going to be capped in AAA, Njau kept being that guy. For 8+ seasons, toiling away in minor league facilities, never getting the call.

Now, he's that guy that leads Los Cabos in career games, hits, singles, and doubles. He's that guy that can go out a champion.

The Mexico City front office, heartless bastards all, released Njau in July, shortly after he became the team's hits leader. He stuck around as a consultant/special assistant and got to celebrate the minor league franchise's seventh title.

"Yeah, it was special to be able to be around the guys, even after they talked to me about shifting out of an on field role." Njau said after the season, "I've been here a long time. I had no intention of leaving. Thankfully, we were able to come to an agreement about a role for me. I liked the mentor type role alot. Loved helping these kids along. Might be time to look at a coaching position for real before too long."

Time will tell if Njau will stick around Cabo for the long term. There are likely to be suitors for his services as a veteran mentor that would still offer him a chance to swing a bat. Perhaps the GBC could be an option. Maybe he'll just stay put in Cabo. One thing is for sure though, his name and his presence will loom over the Los Cabos clubhouse and, if indirectly, the Mexico City clubhouse, for many years to come.

"I've always loved Mersha's makeup," said Aztec GM Fred Holmes, "Every since we picked him up as an UDFA he just came to work and did what we needed him to do. He hasn't told me yet when his plans for the future are but he'll have a place here in our organization waiting for him whenever he's ready to take it."

If Njau retires this offseason, the team seems very likely to bring him back in a coaching role, either hitting coach or manager. The real question is whether they'll ask him to move to another of their minor league affiliates or if they'll leave him in Cabo where he is undoubtedly, That Guy.
Fred Holmes
General Manager
Mexico City Aztecs - BBA

BBA Champs - 2052
JL Champs - 2027, 2052
JL MW Champs - 2022, 2023, 2024, 2027
JL Sun Belt Champs - 2035, 2036, 2038
JL Frontier Champs - 2051, 2052
JL Manager of the Year - 2023, 2024, 2026, 2052

trmmilwwi
BBA GM

Re: 2056.2: That Guy

Post by trmmilwwi » Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:06 am

That Guy isn't a bad high minors player at all.
trmmilwwi - GM San Antonio Outlaws
MBWBA Manager of the Year FL 2010, JL 2016, JL 2018

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Mexico City Aztecs”