2052.6: Klooster Good to Go

GM: Fred Holmes

Moderator: Rubaboo

Rubaboo
BBA GM

2052.6: Klooster Good to Go

Post by Rubaboo » Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:04 pm

On the eve of the Brewster Championship series the Aztecs have gotten a boost via the return of all-star catcher Roelof Klooster who had been out since early September with a strained abdominal muscle.

"Yeah, I'm 100%. Ready to roll," said Klooster after news broke of his activation, "Excited to get back in the action. When we got the initial prognosis on my injury I had this date circled immediately. It was pretty clear they were wanting me to sit for most of the post season, so I told myself that I was going to be patient, not rush anything so that I could be ready to roll for the Championship Series if we made it this far. Fortunately, the guys picked up my slack and carried me this far. It'll be great to ge tback in there."

Klooster's addition will see his offensive punch injected back into the offense right when they might need it most, as the Bluebirds have one of the most formidable staffs in the BBA.

To make room for Klooster, the Aztecs are removing young catcher German Velazquez from their playoff roster.

"We really appreciate the work that Jai and German have done while Roelof has been on the mend," Aztec GM Fred Holmes said when announcing Klooster's return, "They've done everything that we could have reasonably hoped for, we've hardly missed a beat. Roelof is a unique player though. Offensively, defensively he's just the total package. We're excited to have him back in the lineup."

Porter and Velazquez have done an admirable job filling in offensively but Velazquez doesn't have the arm you'd want to have out of a starting catcher in the playoffs, which matters against a Bluebirds lineup that can run.

Rust will be a concern for Klooster, and jumping into the Championship Series after a 7 week layoff isn't ideal but perhaps the most important fact is that his return means the Aztecs go into the series with all of their players healthy and available and can field their preferred lineup. In a playoffs where Mexico City has had to slug their way to a pair of 7 game series wins and going into a series against a team that has mostly managed to handle opposing offenses, any advantage matters. Klooster gives the Aztecs a slightly larger edge over the Bluebirds offensively. Hopefully, it will be enough.
Fred Holmes
General Manager
Mexico City Aztecs - BBA

BBA Champs - 2052
JL Champs - 2027, 2052
JL MW Champs - 2022, 2023, 2024, 2027
JL Sun Belt Champs - 2035, 2036, 2038
JL Frontier Champs - 2051, 2052
JL Manager of the Year - 2023, 2024, 2026, 2052

Return to “Mexico City Aztecs”