2036.6: Free Agents to be

GM: Fred Holmes

Moderator: Rubaboo

Rubaboo
BBA GM

2036.6: Free Agents to be

Post by Rubaboo » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:04 pm

The 2036-37 offseason is right around the corner. Teams will analyze available talent and weigh it against their available resources both in terms of manpower and finances to start to shape their teams for the run to the 2037 Landis. The first step in this process, before the joys of addition, is the pain of subtraction. Mexico City has been very fortunate in recent years to be an young, inexpensive team. Management has had the luxury of being able to keep the talent already in the system and not let any unwanted players slip to the open market. This offseason, however, signals a changing in the tides of the Aztecs on that front. Some important pieces from the back to back 95 win teams will be saying goodbye to the rain in search of more playing time or more money elsewhere. Here's a rundown of the major league players that will be cleaning out their lockers in Mexico City and may have worn their Aztec colors for the last time.

OF Chank-Hyeok Chang
Mexico City Career:
4 seasons (2033-2036) 476 games. .324/.381/.458, 98 2B, 34 3B, 24 HR, 99 SB
Acquired: Trade with Atlantic City, August 25th 2033
After a slow start to his career in Mexico City, Chang has been as advertised. He's hit for high average and been a great presence in the locker room. His defense is a burden in a corner OF spot, as evidenced by a -18.5 ZR between LF and RF in his time with the Aztecs, and he doesn't have the power you want in the corners but what really has him on the door of free agency for the first time in his career is the presence of Gipper Kengos who is very ready to step into Chang's corner OF spot. Kengos coupled with a nine figure salary demand for an extension puts Chang out the door.

CF Roy Lynn
Mexico City Career:
7 seasons (2030-2036) 615 games (361 starts). .275/.322/.382, 66 2B, 16 3B, 19 HR, 199 SB
Acquired: 2027 Draft, Round 1, Pick 22
Lynn was an effective role player for the Aztecs in his time with the club. Strong defensively all over the outfield with just enough bat to fill in for an injury or when a guy needed a rest. Lynn has decided that he needs to have $6.5M per year to re-sign, so he will be free to try to find it on the open market. The Aztecs would love to have Lynn back at a price more palatable to the organization.

C Elroy Hinson
Mexico City Career:
2 seasons (2035-2036) 200 games. .266/.347/.431, 57 2B, 1 3B, 20 HR
Acquired: Trade with Las Vegas, June 9th, 2035
Elroy's time in Mexico City was a mixed bag. He hit ok and provided a great presence in the locker room and was the best option behind the dish for the Aztecs by a hilariously large margin, but his performance overall was only alright, not great. Part of that is likely due to age (he turned 36 during the 2036 season) which makes it very difficult for management to sign him to the 6 year extension he's demanding. The team would be open to bringing him back, but it would have to be in a shorter term deal.

C Don Logan
Mexico City Career:
1 season (2036) 14 games. .222/.340/.356, 10 2B 0 HR
Acquired: Claimed on Waivers from Boise, August 8th, 2036
Logan only played a month in Mexico City. He was a lefty bat that was used to spell Elroy every few games. His OBP was fine but his power was non-existent. He was unwilling to discuss an extension which was fine by Aztec management.

4 Players gone. Ready replacement for Chang, a hope that Lynn can be retained on a team friendly deal, and both catchers that finished the season on the ML roster. Holes to fill, work to do. 2037 might be the start of a big push from the Aztecs. Mexico City currently has only $61M in payroll committed for 2037 so there's room to spend but with management having a history of being loathe to commit big bucks to free agents, the best internal options may be the best options. Look for Santiago Reyes to get some time behind the dish in 2037 (for better or worse) and for someone to have an opportunity to step into the 4th OF role. This could be an offseason that puts it all together for the Aztecs, or another that leaves the fans frustrated at following a very good but not a great team.
Fred Holmes
General Manager
Mexico City Aztecs - BBA

BBA Champs - 2052
JL Champs - 2027, 2052
JL MW Champs - 2022, 2023, 2024, 2027
JL Sun Belt Champs - 2035, 2036, 2038
JL Frontier Champs - 2051, 2052
JL Manager of the Year - 2023, 2024, 2026, 2052

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: 2036.6: Free Agents to be

Post by RonCo » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:19 pm

I think the game may finally have figured out how to create more realistic Free Agent classes. :)
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:21 pm

RonCo wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:19 pm
I think the game may finally have figured out how to create more realistic Free Agent classes. :)
By having every player always ask for max length extensions for ridiculous amounts of money? I mean, it's better than it was. Before they accepted way to many team friendly extensions. Seems a bit overboard right now though (in typical OOTP over-correction fashion)
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:58 pm

I understand the angst on such big asks, but it's basically the player saying "you have to blow me away if you want me to forgoe free agency." If I could suggest a change, it would be to the wording on the offer.

On the other hand, there have been nineteen players who have signed 4-6 year extensions during this year for what seem like mostly reasonable value deals. Twenty more have signed three-season deals, again, with at least arguable values. So that's thirty-nine guys who forwent free agency for arguably market value.

And, yes, it seems to me like each of these guys (with maybe the exception of Logan) would want to go to the market to see what they were worth, each with different dynamics going on (only two being mega-asks).

Chang - He won't get 9 figures (like the TN says he "wants"), but he'll almost certainly get more than Mexico City would offer given Fred's stated depth.

Lynn - "Only" wants $6.5M. Given his position scarcity, that's a bit, but not totally unreasonable to think he'll get close to that.

Hinson - Still a solid guy, though risky. He'll wind up settling for less, but unless Mexico City was willing to give him a mega-deal, why not go to free agency? Yes, I'd like to see this case be something where he understands he's 36...but then again, there's Ol' Big Head and Leon Sandcastle for him to use as a comparison, so it's not totally unrealistic -in our environment- that a 36 year-old superstar would ask for six seasons or else he'll walk.

Logan - Sounds like he just doesn't want to be in Mexico City, and vice versa.

Shrug.

Realize, I've got a bunch of these guys, so I'm bit by it as much as the next guy. At the end of the day, the decisions seem to be working out pretty okay in the big picture. Several guys signing, but just as many (or probaly a few more) going to FA.
Roster

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:09 pm

I'll note that three stars have gotten signed for those six year, $20-$30M a year asks:

- David Noboru ($162M)
- Emilio Morales ($140M)
- Cristobal Hernandez ($127M)

All of which are justifiable and were good asks, but almost certainly over-pays (meaning they would probably have been able to be resigned for a little less if the owner had let them go to free agency--but avoiding that risk was worth a premium). So my view is that, though I'm probably going to have to deal with free agency to attempt to keep my guys around, good on the game for holding owners accountable to pay up.

I'm really interested and excited to see how the economy changes when GMs see more players going to free agency. I could project some changes, but you don't know what's going to be real until you get there.
Roster

Rubaboo
BBA GM

Post by Rubaboo » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:04 pm

I don't think Chang's ask is overly high, he was 2 points from winning the batting crown and was player of the month in September. If there's ever a time to try to leverage your success that's it. I've got no intention of paying him that but someone might.

Lynn asking for $6.5M strikes me as a bit high but as Ron stated, he's a + defender in CF and has had a little success with the bat so why not?

Elroy is asking 6/$14M per which is probably alot for his age and recent production trend but the ratings are still there and the comps suggest that it's not out of the question.

All in all, for this class at least, my particular situation doesn't feel inflated outside of maybe Lynn.
Fred Holmes
General Manager
Mexico City Aztecs - BBA

BBA Champs - 2052
JL Champs - 2027, 2052
JL MW Champs - 2022, 2023, 2024, 2027
JL Sun Belt Champs - 2035, 2036, 2038
JL Frontier Champs - 2051, 2052
JL Manager of the Year - 2023, 2024, 2026, 2052

JimBob2232
BBA GM