2056.07 - John Maggard Diary Entry "I made it"

GM: Mike Simon

Moderator: CTBrewCrew

CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

2056.07 - John Maggard Diary Entry "I made it"

Post by CTBrewCrew » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:55 am

Hi there! My name is John Maggard and I am a 22 year old shortstop for the South Bend Proudest Monkeys, a Minor League Baseball team of the Madison Wolves. I was recently drafted in 2053 by the Madison Wolves and have been playing for the franchise for two years now. I have always loved the game of baseball, and I am so grateful for the opportunity to play professionally. It's been an exciting and challenging journey so far, and I wanted to document it by keeping a daily diary. I hope you enjoy reading about my experiences as I navigate life in the minor leagues and work towards my dream of making it to the big leagues.

Dear Diary,

I can hardly believe it's finally happened. After years of hard work, perseverance, and countless hours of training, I've achieved my dream of making it to the Brewster League. It's been an incredible journey filled with ups and downs, but I've finally arrived, and I'm determined to make the most of this opportunity.

I received the call-up to the Madison Wolves just 21 days ago, and it's been a whirlwind ever since. The circumstances that led to my call-up weren't ideal, with a slew of injuries hitting the ballclub hard. Veterans like Salvador Allende, Manobu Shimizu, Luis Alonzo, and even fellow rookie Dave McClain have all spent time on the injured reserve this year. It's never easy to see teammates go down, but it's part of the game, and it's opened a door for me that I'm ready to walk through.

In these 21 days, I've done my best to seize the moment. I've played in 11 games, stepping up to the plate 40 times and taking my position in the field 37 times. It's been an adjustment, moving between shortstop and third base based on what Head Coach Will Myers needs. Versatility is crucial in the big leagues, and I'm embracing the challenge.

My performance at the plate has been a mixed bag. I've managed to collect 8 hits, including 3 doubles and 3 triples. Home runs have eluded me so far, but I'm not letting that get me down. I've driven in 2 runs, scored 1 myself, and drawn 3 walks. On the downside, I've struck out 2 times and have been caught stealing once. My batting average currently stands at .216, with an on-base percentage of .275 and a slugging percentage of .297. My OPS is .572, and my BABIP is .229.

While these numbers may not be where I want them to be, I'm using this time as a valuable learning experience. The pitchers in the Brewster League are incredibly talented and present a unique challenge. I'm studying their tendencies, working with the hitting coaches to refine my approach, and doing everything I can to make adjustments and improve my performance.

But it's not just about my individual stats. It's about contributing to the team in any way I can. Whether it's making a crucial defensive play at shortstop or getting a key hit to spark a rally, I'm here to help the Wolves win ballgames.

Off the field, life in the Brewster League has been eye-opening. The level of competition and the daily grind are unlike anything I've experienced before. Living away from home at such a young age can be tough, but I'm fortunate to have a supportive family who comes to watch me play whenever they can.

As for my personal life, there have been some significant developments. Just before my call-up, I proposed to my girlfriend, Anna, and she said yes! We didn't have much time for a lengthy honeymoon due to the baseball season, but we managed to steal a few days away in a cozy cabin in the mountains. It was a brief but beautiful escape, a chance for us to celebrate our love before I had to return to the game.

I also invited several of my teammates to the wedding, and they made the event even more memorable. We've built strong bonds over the years, and it was an incredible feeling to have them there to share in our joy.

Looking ahead, my expectations for the upcoming year are simple: to keep growing as a player, help the Madison Wolves compete at the highest level, and continue living my dream. I know there will be challenges and setbacks along the way, but I'm ready to face them head-on. I'm grateful for the opportunity to wear the Wolves' uniform and represent this incredible organization.

The journey is just beginning, and I can't wait to see where it leads. Thank you, Diary, for being my confidant through all the highs and lows. Here's to the next chapter!

Yours in determination,

John Maggard

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Re: 2056.07 - John Maggard Diary Entry "I made it"

Post by Dington » Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:48 am

Give 'em hell, kid!
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

Trebro