2053.23 - 3 Wolves Den - A weekly Diary by John Maggard - Part 13

GM: Mike Simon

Moderator: CTBrewCrew

CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

2053.23 - 3 Wolves Den - A weekly Diary by John Maggard - Part 13

Post by CTBrewCrew » Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:33 pm

Hi there! My name is John Maggard and I am a 20 year old shortstop for the Saint John Water Wolves, a Minor League Baseball team in the Caribbean. I was recently drafted by the Madison Wolves and have been playing for the Water Wolves for the past few weeks. I have always loved the game of baseball, and I am so grateful for the opportunity to play professionally. It's been an exciting and challenging journey so far, and I wanted to document it by keeping a daily diary. I hope you enjoy reading about my experiences as I navigate life in the minor leagues and work towards my dream of making it to the big leagues.

August 18th, 2053

As the shortstop for the Saint Johns Water Wolves, I walked up to the plate for the first time in tonight's game against the Daytona Beach Cruisers with a mix of excitement and nervousness. We had just clinched the division in the game before this and were preparing for the playoffs, and the Cruisers were a team we knew we would likely be facing in the post-season. They are one of the oldest teams in the league and sometimes it feels a bit unfair to play against men who are 26-28 years old when a lot of us on our team are fresh out of college or high school.

Despite this, my teammates and I were determined to give it our all and put up a good fight. But unfortunately, things didn't go our way on the field tonight. The Cruisers got on the board first, scoring three runs in the second inning and adding two more in the sixth. We managed to get two runs on the board in the fifth inning, but it wasn't enough to overcome the deficit.

Personally, I went 1 for 4 at the plate and didn't manage to get any runs in. My teammates had a similar experience, with only five hits and two runs total for the game. We couldn't seem to get the timely hits when we needed them and we made one error in the field.

Despite the loss, I know that my teammates and I will regroup and come back stronger for the next game. We've had a great season so far and we're not going to let one loss bring us down. And even though the Cruisers may have won tonight, we'll be ready for them in the playoffs.

August 19th 2053

Today, we faced off against the Daytona Beach Cruisers in the second game of the series. As one of the teams co-captains, I take losses hard, and today's game was no exception. We fell to the Cruisers with a final score of 7-2. It was a tough loss for our team, but the Cruisers are a strong squad, and they're currently sitting at an impressive 67-5 on the season.

Personally, I didn't have the best game at the plate. I went 0-4 and was unable to make an impact on the game. As a shortstop, I take pride in my offensive and defensive abilities, and it's frustrating when I'm not able to contribute to the team's success. However, I know that in baseball, there are going to be games where you don't perform to your best ability and that's just a part of the game.

Despite my struggles at the plate, there were some bright spots for our team. Hanson hit a solo home run in the 2nd inning and Huggins drove in a run in the 9th inning. Our defense also played well, with a double play turned by myself, Banciu, and Zimmerman.

The Cruisers were led by Kulmala, who had a great game at the plate, driving in three runs. Their offense was strong throughout the lineup, with every batter getting at least one hit. Their pitcher, Filov, also had a solid outing, allowing only 2 runs in 6 innings of work.

It's important to remember that we've already clinched the division and our focus now is on preparing for the playoffs. We're going to use this loss as motivation and come back stronger for the next game. We have a talented group of guys on this team, and I know we'll bounce back from this loss and finish the season strong.

We have a day off tomorrow and then we'll be back on the field for the final game of the series, looking to end on a high note before heading back home and preparing for the playoffs.

August 20th, 2053

As the shortstop for the Saint Johns Water Wolves, today's game against the Daytona Beach Cruisers was a big one. We were facing off against the league's best team, and they had only lost 6 games all season. But we were determined to be the ones to hand them another loss.

From the start, it was clear that this was going to be a defensive battle. Both teams were playing solid defense and neither team was able to score in the first few innings. But then, in the top of the 9th, we finally broke through. We scored 2 runs, which ended up being the only runs of the game.

I went 1-4 at the plate, but managed to drive in two runs for the team. It wasn't my best performance, but I was glad to contribute to the team's effort.

But the real MVPs of the game were definitely our pitchers. Andrew Pollack started on the mound and pitched a solid 5 innings, only giving up 3 hits and no runs. Bryan Griffin came in next and had a great outing, pitching 3 scoreless innings and picking up the win. And then, Orlando Lopez closed it out with a perfect 1 inning save, earning his 10th save of the season.

It was a huge win for the team, and it showed that we could beat the best team in the league. It was a great feeling to come out on top and it gives us a lot of momentum heading into the rest of the season.

August 22nd, 2053

After an off day today was a big day for the Saint Johns Water Wolves as we faced off against the Caracas Sting at home. We were determined to finish the season strong and come out with a win.

The game started off strong for us as we were able to score one run in the bottom of the first inning. The Sting were able to get on the board in the fourth inning with a solo home run, but that was the only run they were able to score for the entire game.

On the mound, starting pitcher Kyle Beasley had a solid outing, going 3.2 innings and giving up only one run on three hits with five strikeouts. Ángel Nevárez came in as the relief pitcher and did an excellent job holding the Sting scoreless for the next 3.1 innings, earning him the win for the game.

Our bullpen also stepped up, with Paul Macías and Oscar López each pitching a scoreless inning to secure the win for us.

Offensively, we were able to get 5 hits and 2 runs, with RBIs coming from Ryan Carson and Chris Brashear.

Overall, it was a great team effort and it was a great way to end the season on a high note. Just because we have clinched the division doesn't mean we have to stop playing hard. I like this teams chances in the playoffs.

August 23rd, 2053

Today was a much needed rest day for me. The coaches decided to give me a break, and I have to say, it felt great. This season has been a long and grueling one. We've been playing almost every day for the past four months, and it's taken a toll on all of us. But despite the fatigue, I couldn't be more proud of my team. We've fought hard every game and it's paid off. We've secured a spot in the playoffs and that's something to be proud of.

It's not easy playing in the pros, it's a whole different ball game than college. The competition is fierce and the stakes are high. But I've learned so much this season and I've grown as a player. I've learned to stay calm under pressure, to take things one game at a time and to never give up.

I've also learned that it's not just about the wins and losses, it's about the camaraderie and the bond that we've built as a team. I've made some great friends this season and we've all supported each other through the ups and downs. That's what makes all the hard work worth it.

I'm looking forward to the playoffs, it's going to be a tough road ahead but I know that we're capable of achieving great things. I'll be cheering on my team from the sidelines, and I'll be ready to contribute when my time comes. We're in this together and I believe we can do this.

August 24th, 2053

Today marks the end of the regular season for the Saint Johns Water Wolves. As I sit here and reflect on the past few months, I can hardly believe how fast the time has flown by. When I first joined the team, I was just a college player looking to make a name for myself in the professional ranks. But now, as I look back on all the games, practices, and bus rides, I realize that I've grown so much more than just as a player.

I've made friendships with my teammates that I know will last a lifetime. We've gone through the ups and downs of the season together, and I'm grateful for the support and camaraderie they've provided me. From the veterans who have taught me so much, to the new guys who have become like brothers to me, I couldn't have asked for a better group of guys to share this experience with.

As for the game today, it was certainly a tough one. We just couldn't seem to get anything going against their pitcher and fell short with a final score of 2-0. While it's always disappointing to lose, I know that we'll come back stronger for the playoffs next week. We've worked hard all season to get to this point, and we're not going to let one loss define our season.

Looking ahead to the playoffs, I'm excited and a little bit nervous. But I know that with the talent and dedication of my teammates, we have what it takes to make a run at the championship. It's been a long season, but I wouldn't have wanted to spend it with any other group of guys.

Return to “Madison Wolves”