2053.17 - 3 Wolves Den - A weekly Diary by John Maggard - Part 7

GM: Mike Simon

Moderator: CTBrewCrew

CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

2053.17 - 3 Wolves Den - A weekly Diary by John Maggard - Part 7

Post by CTBrewCrew » Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:19 pm

Hi there! My name is John Maggard and I am a 20 year old shortstop for the Saint John Water Wolves, a Minor League Baseball team in the Caribbean. I was recently drafted by the Madison Wolves and have been playing for the Water Wolves for the past few weeks. I have always loved the game of baseball, and I am so grateful for the opportunity to play professionally. It's been an exciting and challenging journey so far, and I wanted to document it by keeping a daily diary. I hope you enjoy reading about my experiences as I navigate life in the minor leagues and work towards my dream of making it to the big leagues.

July 14th, 2053

Today was a tough one for me. I didn't have the best game at the plate, going 1-3 with a single. I was really hoping to get things going and contribute more to the team's victory, but sometimes that's just how baseball goes.

Despite my struggles, the rest of the team really stepped up and we were able to come away with a 10-5 win against the Key West Beachbums. Our offense was on fire, with guys like B. Bastable, Á. Contreras, and B. Hanson all having big games. B. Bastable even hit two home runs, which was awesome to see.

Defensively, we were solid as well. B. Moon made a couple of nice plays at third base, and our pitchers did a good job of keeping the Beachbums' bats in check. It was a complete team effort and I'm glad we were able to get the win.

As a team, we've been playing really well lately. We've won six of our last seven games and are starting to hit our stride. It's always tough to win on the road, but we're finding ways to get it done.

Looking ahead, we have a big series coming up against the Little Islands. They're at the top of our division and it's always a tough matchup. But we're feeling confident, and we know that if we play our best, we can come away with some victories.

Overall, it was a good day for the Water Wolves. I may not have had the best game personally, but the team came through and we were able to get the win. On to the next one.

July 15th, 2053

Today was a great day for the Saint John's Water Wolves. We dominated the Key West Beachbums, winning the game 9-3. I wasn't in the starting lineup, but I did come in as a pinch hitter in the eighth inning. I wasn't able to get a hit, but it was still a great feeling to be able to contribute to the team in any way I can.

Our offense was on fire today, racking up a total of 17 hits. Brandon Hanson and Cody Brashear both hit home runs, and Brashear even hit two. It was also great to see Brandon Yelland and Taro Yamasaki both have solid games at the plate, with Yelland hitting a home run and Yamasaki getting five hits.

On the mound, Brandon Griffin did a great job, throwing six shutout innings and only allowing three hits. He was relieved by Andrew Pollack, who also had a solid outing, only allowing one hit in two innings of work. It was a great team effort all around, and it was great to see everyone contribute to the win.

We have a day off tomorrow, and then we'll be back at it on Wednesday as we take on the Key West again. We're currently in second place in the division by a half a game, and we'll be looking to continue our strong play and climb even higher in the standings. Overall, it was a great team win and I'm looking forward to what the rest of the season has in store for us.

July 16th, 2053

It was another great win for the Saint John Water Wolves today as we took down the Key West Beachbums 8-5. I had a pretty quiet day at the plate, going 1-4 with a single in the third inning. But the rest of the team more than made up for it with a strong offensive performance.

B. Yelland had a great day, going 2-4 with a triple and a run scored. B. Bastable also had a strong outing, going 1-5 with an RBI and a run scored. B. Zimmerman had a solid day as well, going 2-5 with a run scored. And B. Hanson continued his hot hitting, going 2-4 with a home run, two RBIs, and a run scored.

M. Huggins also had a big day at the plate, going 2-4 with a home run and two RBIs. T. Yamasaki chipped in with a single, and Á. Contreras came off the bench to go 1-1 with a run scored.

On the mound, we had a strong outing from our starter B. Griffin, who went six innings and allowed just one run on four hits while striking out five. R. Cordero and J. Perdue closed out the game with three scoreless innings of relief, with Perdue picking up the save.

It was a great team win and we're looking to keep the momentum going as we head into the final stretch of the season. Go Water Wolves!

July 17th, 2053

Today was a tough game against the Port of Spain Royales. We just couldn't seem to get anything going offensively, and ended up falling 4-3. I went 1-3 at the plate, with a single and a strikeout.

The game was pretty evenly matched early on, with the Royales scoring first in the top of the first on a solo home run by J. Sun. We managed to get on the board in the bottom of the second, when Á. Contreras drove in a run with a single.

The score remained 2-1 in favor of the Royales until the bottom of the fourth, when we tied things up at 2-2 on a single by B. Zimmerman. The Royales regained the lead in the top of the fifth on another solo home run, this time by R. Jackson.

We managed to tie things up again in the bottom of the fifth on a sacrifice fly by N. Banciu, but that would be the last time we scored. The Royales added two more runs in the top of the eighth on a two-run home run by H. Peters, and we just couldn't come back.

Overall, it was a frustrating game for us. We had our chances, but just couldn't come through with the big hits when we needed them. Hopefully we can bounce back and get a win tomorrow.

July 19th, 2053

As a member of the Saint Johns Water Wolves, I have always tried to approach every game with the same level of intensity and focus. However, there are certain games that just don't go your way, no matter how hard you try. Today was one of those days for us.

We faced off against the Port of Spain Royales, and from the start, it seemed like nothing was going our way. We couldn't get any hits or runs, and their pitchers were on point, shutting us down at every turn. Even when we finally managed to score a run in the bottom of the 6th, it wasn't enough to turn the tide in our favor.

I was on the bench for most of the game, but I did get to go in as a pinch hitter in the bottom of the 9th. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to do much, and we ended up losing the game 2-1. It was a tough loss to swallow, especially since we had been on a bit of a winning streak recently.

Despite the disappointment of the game, there were still a few bright spots. Brian Hanson, one of my teammates, had a great game at the plate, going 3-for-4 and getting on base four times. He's really starting to come into his own as a player, and I have no doubt that he'll continue to have a strong season.

Off the field, Brian and I have become pretty close friends. We often spend time together outside of baseball, and one of our favorite activities is rock climbing. Brian is an experienced climber, and he's been trying to get me into the sport for a while now. I have to admit, I was a little intimidated at first, but he's been a great mentor and has taught me a lot about technique and safety.

Overall, it was a tough loss today, but I know that we'll bounce back and come back stronger in our next game. We just have to stay focused and keep working hard.

July 20th, 2053

As a pinch hitter, I'm always ready to step up to the plate when my team needs me. Today was no different, even though we ended up losing 0-1 to the St. Kitts Selects. I wasn't able to get on base, but I saw some good pitches and did my best to make contact.

Defensively, we had a solid game. Our pitchers kept the Selects' offense in check and we only allowed four hits. Unfortunately, one of those hits was a solo home run in the 6th inning, which ended up being the difference in the game.

Offensively, we just couldn't seem to get anything going. We only managed four hits and were unable to capitalize on any scoring opportunities. It was a frustrating game, but that's baseball - sometimes things just don't go your way.

Despite the loss, we have to put this game behind us and focus on the next one. We have a tough stretch of games coming up, but I have confidence in my teammates and our ability to bounce back. We just have to keep working hard and executing on the field.

Return to “Madison Wolves”