The House of Fiscus Episode 12

GM: Mike Simon

Moderator: CTBrewCrew

7teen
BBA GM

The House of Fiscus Episode 12

Post by 7teen » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:19 am

These team news are told from the perspective of former Wolves General Manager Dan Fiscus....

I'm sitting in the booth at the Waffle House in southern Indiana. The place is half full. It's late. Just shy of midnight. The bell on the door jingle-jangles, I turn and see Wilson coming in. We make eye contact and he gives me a nod as a wave back to acknowledge we see each other and he heads over to the booth I've been occupying for 20 minutes.

"What's going on C-Baby" I ask him as he sits on the other side of the booth facing the door. "I've not ordered yet so let's get some food."

"I'm good, Dan," Wilson responds. "what was so urgent you had to pull me away from my visit to South Bend on a scouting trip for our farm team that you had to get me down here to talk."

I look at Wilson with a wide grin. Clearly he's a little upset. I may have told him I had some urgent news to tell him but that was a slight stretch of the truth. "Come on C-Dub, let's order some food and we'll talk." I motion over at the waitress. She comes over. Tall lady. Probably close to 6 foot tall. Probably weighs no more than 100 pounds. Looks like she's missing some teeth.

"Can I help you fellas" shes asks in a raspy voice. She talks like she just got done smoking a cigarette or 5 packs outback.

"What are you doing later?" I ask back, raising my eyebrows at Wilson

"Oh for fuck's sake, I'm out of here" Wilson says. I reach over and grab him lightly by the arm to get him to sit back down and assure him I was just joking. He sits back down and I order us a couple of coffees. Mine black. Wilson's with cream. About that time the door jingle-jangles. My back is to it so I don't see who comes in. Wilson looks up, somewhat surprised. Somewhat confused. The new customer walks over to our table.

"Hey babe, hold my purse while i run to the restroom." She hands me her stuff. Wilson, still in shock shakes his head as the lady walks past the booth.

"Kate?" he asks me as she enters the bathroom.

"Yeah, we're married. The last few years have hit her pretty bad. After you turned me down for a job last time she took not coming back to Madison pretty hard. I got on with Louisville. She hit the bottle pretty hard. Got into some drugs. Had a couple of kids, neither of whom are mine. I feel bad for her really. She says she's clean now. Sobering up. But you can tell she's still troubled."

"Wait, you two are married" Wilson asks with a puzzled look. You can tell the wheels are turning in his head. "Were you two married the last time I saw her? When she came into my office trying to get you a job. And then she sucked my.."

"Yeah, yeah" I interrupt. "Not my finest moment. Let's get past that, shall we. Look, C-Baby, let's get down to it. Rumors are, you're about to jettison yourself out of Madison. I want in!"

"You want in?" Wilson responds, "You already have a job. You're in Louisville. And I don't know what job you're talking about. I've been in Madison for longer than I can remember. Why would I leave?" Kate has made her way back from the bathroom. Wilson does everything he can to not make eye contact with her while at the same time continuing to glance at her. Clearly she's not her old self, but there's still something about her that draws your attention. I guess that's why I've been able to put up with all of that other shit these last few years.

"Cut the bullshit man. The league has already reported it. You're heading up an expansion team in Portland. Everyone knows it. Don't hide it from me. Just because that shitty organization up north hasn't issued any statements about it yet doesn't mean it isn't happening. It's the worst kept secret in the league. You're going to Portland and I want out of the hillbilly hell they call Louisville. Can you believe it man? Me, in Louisville!? Of all the fucking places to go to."

"At least it isn't Edmonton!" Wilson responds with a big grin on his face like he's one-upped me or some shit. Wilson referencing the 7 brutal years I spent in Edmonton in that ice box hell hole.

"Yeah whatever" I respond angrily. "Look, I'm clearly a better GM now. Look at things. Edmonton won a championship last season. I think I had a hand in building that. And look at Louisville now. We're winning. It's all because of me! I have a new perspective now. I'm raising two kids now. I have to succeed." I look over at Kate as she looks at me with that angry look wives give their husband when they've said the wrong thing. I just scrunch of my eyes and mouth and give her that hands raised, nod assurance that it's all good and I have this under control.

Jingle-Jangle

"Look Dan, even if I wanted or could bring you to Portland next season, it can't happen. You're under contract in Louisville until 2040 and" suddenly a scream echoes through the waffle house near the entrance. Wilson stops mid-sentence as his eyes grow big. I turn to see what the commotion is. Gun-shot.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

shoeless.db
BBA GM

Re: The House of Fiscus Episode 12

Post by shoeless.db » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:36 pm

Nothing builds suspense like a handgun on a dresser. Unless, of course, there's a gunshot in a dumpy waffle house peopled with a meth-head waitress, a used catcher's mitt of a wife, and a begging former assistant General Manager.

Looking forward to 13.
Sacramento Mad Popes (unretired)
-- Vic Caleca Team News Award Winner 2052
-- BBA Champion 2053
-- Pacific Champs 2040, 2042, 2043, 2047, 2048, 2049, 2051, 2053, 2054
Life is a bit more beautiful when time is measured by the half inning rather than the half hour.

jleddy
Ex-GM

Post by jleddy » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:41 pm

Why am I suddenly picturing Ringo and Yolanda holding the restaurant up?
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

jleddy
Ex-GM

Post by jleddy » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:43 pm

shoeless.db wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:36 pm
Nothing builds suspense like a handgun on a dresser.
Tchekanov's gun?
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:50 am

So ... like I'm going to get anything done until the next episode drops.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Madison Wolves”