That's What Cheesehead: 38.43 - Jimmy Makes History

GM: Mike Simon

Moderator: CTBrewCrew

7teen
BBA GM

That's What Cheesehead: 38.43 - Jimmy Makes History

Post by 7teen » Mon May 20, 2019 8:44 am

Two seasons ago, the Wolves drafted an interesting player that made some local news in both Madison and up north in Toronto, Canada. Unlike most draft stories that discuss certain quirks of a player's playing ability, this one focused more on the player's name. That player, J.R. Spoonman, made history this month for the Madison Wolves.

As the previous story discusses, there had never been a player named Spoonman to ever play in the BBA. Never. Mainly because it's believed no other Spoonman's exist in the world due to his grandfather electing to change his last name before J.R. was born. But history was made on September 6 in a game against Twin Cities when 21 year old J.R. Spoonman became the first Spoonman to pitch in the big leagues.

"I was overwhelmed with a variety of emotions" said J.R. when hearing the news he was being called up. "I knew things were bad up in Madison this season with pitching and injuries, but to have to dig down the barrel to find me and call me up means it must be real bad."

The 16th round pick in the 2036 draft has never been on anyone's radar as a potential big league pitcher but the thought of creating history in the BBA intrigued Wolves GM Chris Wilson. "His story is so fascinating" said Wilson. "His grandfather's enjoyment of Adam Sandler comedy to the point he'd change his family's name is just wild. I couldn't pass up the chance to make league history of having a Spoonman play in the league."

So history was made on September 6. And to say the least, it didn't go well. Hollywood producers would have written a story book ending for J.R.'s first start. How about a no-hitter? Complete game? Something magical. But in fact, the end of this fairy tell had a tragic ending. Spoonman allowed 8 runs on 9 hits while walking 4 over 3.0 innings pitched. He did notch his first big league strikeout though in a 12-3 Wolves loss to the River Monsters. Not all were welcoming of J.R.'s arrival though.

"This guy is awful" said Wolves manager Millard Davis. "The fact the management here would force me to play this guy just for a story is ridiculous. He only had 1 win in Double-A yet they think he can pitch up here? Give me a break. But then again, he has an arm to throw a ball with. That seems to be about the only requirements to pitch in Madison these days."

Not all shared Davis' pessimism on the day. At least one fan was all smiles before, during, and after the game. J.R.'s grandfather, Jimmy, the man that gave the Spoonmans a name, was in attendance. When reporters asked Jimmy his thoughts after the game was over, he couldn't speak. He only smiled and wiped away a tear. So while the Wolves season has turned into a giant dumpster fire, at least the 2038 season will be a memorable one for the family that changed it's name due to a Saturday Night Live bit. The Spoonmans are now a part of BBA HIstory!
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: That's What Cheesehead: 38.43 - Jimmy Makes History

Post by RonCo » Mon May 20, 2019 10:31 am

+1 million points.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

7teen
BBA GM

Re: That's What Cheesehead: 38.43 - Jimmy Makes History

Post by 7teen » Mon May 20, 2019 7:35 pm

RonCo wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 10:31 am
+1 million points.
I drafted this guy just because of the name. Knew if I had the time I could create at least some FUN team news articles about him. I've milked this 16th round pick to two articles thus far. haha
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50