That's What Cheesehead: 38.44 - Dempsey Breaks Doubles Record

GM: Mike Simon

Moderator: CTBrewCrew

7teen
BBA GM

That's What Cheesehead: 38.44 - Dempsey Breaks Doubles Record

Post by 7teen » Mon May 20, 2019 12:28 pm

If you're tired of reading reports about the same ol' Madison players at this point, too bad. Because here comes another one on everyone's favorite future Hall of Famer Steve Dempsey. Dempsey etched his name into the Madison Wolves record books yet again in the Wolves' game against Omaha on September 11.

Dempsey entered the contest with 548 career doubles. A number that tied him with BBA Hall of Famer and Wolves great Charles Puckett. In the 3rd inning of the game against the Hawks, Dempsey lined a double off of Omaha starter Edris Mtume to notch his franchise record breaking 549th career double. A number that will continue to add to his potential HOF resume. The 32 year old Dempsey spoke about the achievement after the game.

"I've been blessed to have been able to play this game for such a long time" said Dempsey. "I've gone out there, day in and day out since I was 20 years old and just hit. Hit, hit, and more hit. I don't have a whole lot of homeruns for my career, plenty of balls have hit off the wall for sure, but I've been fortunate as well to have some healthy legs and have legged out my fair share of doubles. To be able to say I had more of anything than the likes of Charles Puckett is truly amazing and I'm blessed."

Demspey would add to his total later in the game.

With a total of 551 now, Dempsey has moved into the top 30 all-time in career doubles in the BBA. He most recently passed Armando Santos on the list and will look to continue his climb. With 1 more, he'll tie Flavio Luna and upon hitting 6 more will be tied with Bo Jordan.

Dempsey now ranks atop the Madison Wolves leaderboard in both doubles and triples. He claims the top 6 seasons in terms of the amount of doubles hit in a single season in Madison history, topping out at 62 that he hit in 2031. He's also the current franchise leader in team batting average at .326, just one point ahead of Andrew Ivey, whom Dempsey was once compared to in Aaron's draft recap.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50