That's What Cheesehead: 38.15 -Dempsey Accepting Platoon Role

GM: Mike Simon

Moderator: CTBrewCrew

7teen
BBA GM

That's What Cheesehead: 38.15 -Dempsey Accepting Platoon Role

Post by 7teen » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:41 pm

Even though in the real world the age of 32 isn't considered old (I keep telling myself that as I approach 40), it is likely the beginning of the downward slide for a professional athlete. And when you're an athlete embarking on your 13th season in the big leagues, it means you've been around for a while and that time begins to take it's toll on you and your body. And that is exactly what Steve Dempsey is beginning to endure in Madison this Spring.

The aging left-handed hitter entered this spring expecting things to change for him in 2038. After back to back seasons in which the year was cut short with injury, Dempsey entered spring training with the realization that a change in his role with the club was likely to change. "We have some younger guys coming up and I'm just not quite as keen to hitting left handed pitching as I once was. I knew the day would come sooner rather than later. Was really hoping it would be later though."

Dempsey has made more news over the last few seasons over his inept ability to field moreso than his ability to get base hits. His poor defense has caused his WAR value to be pretty poor. The poor defense has begun to overshadow the fact that Dempsey is still in great position to be just the 3rd Wolves player to get 3,000 hits with the organization.

"We are committed to Steve as our RF for this season and the foreseeable future" said Wolves GM Chris Wilson. " He's still an outstanding hitter and we feel his ability to hit outweighs his poor defense. We're willing to give up a run if his bat helps us add two. I know a lot of people look at that the other way around. He's going to get 3,000 hits. You can take that to the bank."

"Steve will start against righties every game" said Madison manager Millard Davis. "Right now we have some other options against lefties that we'd like to implore early in the season. Right now our goal is to still make sure Steve starts 130 games and or gets at least 500 at-bats. But we also want to make sure he's healthy all season and giving him some periodic rest may help him perform all season."

"They talk about me like I'm Elroy or something" Dempsey said with a chuckle. "I'm 32, not 42. Though I guess when you play as long as I have, you start to feel 52 rather than either of those ages.

At this point, the Wolves appear pot-committed to Steve Dempsey. They almost have to be at this point. Getting Dempsey his 3,000 hits sometime in the next 3-5 seasons might be the only thing that helps take the taste of "the trade" out of fans mouth.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50