That's What Cheesehead: 38.05 - Madison Has Best Financial Season in over a Decade

GM: Mike Simon

Moderator: CTBrewCrew

7teen
BBA GM

That's What Cheesehead: 38.05 - Madison Has Best Financial Season in over a Decade

Post by 7teen » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:46 pm

For the first time in nearly 15 seasons, the Madison Wolves experienced a great financial season in 2037. So much so that it was the first time since 2023 that the team witnessed over a $10 million surplus in balance for a full season. A large reason behind the surge in the black most likely hinged on the fact the Wolves remained competitive all season which created a flood of attendance all season. Combine that with the hike in ticket prices in 2037 and the Wolves were finally able to get out of some financial troubles the club had been experiencing.

Over the last few seasons, and combined with the building of a new stadium, the Wolves have consistently experienced a loss in finances which has forced team ownership to reduce the team's budget. Last season, the team's budget was only $104 million dollars, forcing the team to spend below the salary cap. This has been the case for several seasons. But with a boost in revenue, 2038 sees the club boosting it's budget which could allow the team to be both active in free agency and perhaps boost the team's pitching.

Since taking over the team in 1999, GM Chris Wilson has not been shy to spend money on a team and try to make it competitive. In 31 of his seasons, Wilson has spent over $90 million on payroll to try and keep the Wolves winning. With that said, it has also caused the Wolves to not always turn as much of a profit, especially when times were bad. In 2025, fresh in the middle of the team's 4th consecutive losing season after a long run of post-season trips, the Wolves actually lost an estimated $44 million in balance (damn you Dan Fiscus!) which has gradually caused the slide in budget over the last decade.

"I've always said, managing money and finances has been my weak spot" said Wilson. "Perhaps after nearly 30 seasons under my belt at this, I'm starting to understand them better" Wilson stated with a chuckle.

That remains to be seen. While the Wolves did turn a decent profit last year that led to increased budget and more bonus funds in the bank, the Wolves did lose $17 million in 2036. But knowing Wilson, and knowing the Wolves have money to spend, fully expect the Wolves to spend what they have available heading into 2038 to try and boost on the team's 87 win season in 2036.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50