That's What Cheesehead: 37.24 - Wolves Bite Bullet. Call-up Torres

GM: Mike Simon

Moderator: CTBrewCrew

7teen
BBA GM

That's What Cheesehead: 37.24 - Wolves Bite Bullet. Call-up Torres

Post by 7teen » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:04 pm

When John Garcia and Jose Carlos Moreno both went down with injuries earlier this season, there was some speculation that the time to call-up A-list prospect Andrew Torres to the big league squad had come. At the time, Torres was in Double-A and projected to have a weak split against left handed pitching that the club opted not to do it. Instead, Torres was called up to Triple-A to replace Lance Robinson who the Wolves called-up instead due to his experience at the big league level. Torres promptly suffered a strained oblique muscle and was sidelined for 5-weeks and became an afterthought to being called up.

But something changed. What that was is still unknown as the Wolves front office hasn't said, but when Torres returned from the Disabled List and the major league schedule heading towards the all-star break, the club decided now was the time to bring Torres up.

"I'm not sure what spurred the change" said manager Millard Davis. "But whatever was behind the decision, I'm glad to have Torres up here. The guy just looks like a pure hitter. He's going to boost our offense even more than it already was. It's going to be fun plugging him into the lineup most days."

Plug him into the lineup Davis did and the results were immediate. In his first big league game, Torres burst onto the scene by going 3-5 against the Stars in a 21-7 Wolves route of Valencia. He followed that up with a pair of 1-4 nights against Atlantic City in losing efforts.

"I'm excited to be here" said Torres, the Wolves 1st round pick in last year's draft. "I never dreamed it would happen so quick. It's been a whirlwind for sure. I was in Single-A to start the season and bam, here I am in a Wolves uniform. I'm living in a dream right now."

Torres started 3 of the 4 games the Wolves have played since his call-up. The Wolves also called up Jose Serrano who platooned in against a lefty starter in a game against the Gamblers. Serrano was the Wolves' first round pick in the 2034 draft.

With Torres and Serrano now on the big league club, it will open up some huge questions in a few weeks when Moreno returns from the DL and then what to do this off-season when John Garcia comes back.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50