That's What Cheesehead: 37.23 - Demspey Finding His Stroke

GM: Mike Simon

Moderator: CTBrewCrew

7teen
BBA GM

That's What Cheesehead: 37.23 - Demspey Finding His Stroke

Post by 7teen » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:21 pm

Back at the first of the season, we wrote a team news article wondering whether old man time had caught up with Steve Dempsey. After hitting .218/.240/.287 in April and having come off an injury plagued end of the 2036 season, it appeared the answer was yes. But after some hot hitting over the last 3 months, it appears Steve is back to his old, base hitting self again and is looking to perhaps make a run at the Frick League hitting crown.

"It's way early for that right now, but I'm feeling a lot better about things now than I did earlier in the season" said Dempsey when asked if a run at the batting title was still in the mix for 2037. "I'm just glad the fans and this organization didn't give up on me after last season and the first part of this season. I knew I was still a good hitter. I just had to find some hits and now that I've found those, hopefully the skies the limit the rest of the way for me and this team."

Dempsey has watched his batting average (and overall slash line) increase gradually over the last 3 months. Steve hit .300 in May, .360 in June, and is hitting .486 at the halfway point here in July. The hot streak has been highlighted by his recent 14-game hitting streak that carries over into the second half of the season.

"Hitting streaks are always fun, but stressful" said Dempsey. "I've been on several throughout my career and really try not to think too much about them. As soon as you think about them or realize you have one, you're doomed to end it. I just go up to the plate each at-bat, each game, and look to get a hit or as many hits as I possibly can in that night. It's all I can do as an offensive guy."

Dempsey now has 105 hits on the season and is on pace for 191 for the season. Dempsey is optmistic, health willing, he can get 200 hits again this season.

"It stung a little last year watching that streak end. Hopefully I can start a new one this season."

Dempsey had a stretch of 5 straight seasons of at least 200 hits before the injury a year ago. Demspey is currently batting .313/.335/.414 on the season. He's still 46 points behind Best for the batting crown. A crown he won back in 2031 and has finished runner-up for 3 other times.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50