That's What Cheesehead: 36.41 - Cavazos Gets 200th!

GM: Mike Simon

Moderator: CTBrewCrew

7teen
BBA GM

That's What Cheesehead: 36.41 - Cavazos Gets 200th!

Post by 7teen » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:33 am

Some guys have short careers and are never heard from again. Some guys have short careers and were good in that time span but just couldn't maintain greatness longterm. Some guys are great their entire career. And then you have guys like Jose Cavazos (3 - 2, 5.35 ERA, 1.68 WHIP, 30 K). Guys who stick around for a long time. Are never truly great. But stick around long enough to put up some good overall numbers and get your name mentioned because of it.

In the Wolves' 9-1 victory over Vancouver last week, Cavazos got the win. The win gave him 200 career wins, a milestone not met very often in the BBA.

"It definiately feels great to be in the club" said Cavazos after the game. Jose went 7 innings, allowing 1 run on 4 hits while striking out 8 in arguably his best start of the season. "I've been fortunate enough to have played on some very good teams during my time in the league and have also been blessed with relatively good health throughout. Well, except for that arm injury late last season, but still. I guess when you put all of those things together you can have some success here in the BBA."

Cavazos becomes the 41st member of the 200 wins club in BBA history and moves into 41st all-time in wins, passing up former Wolves great and Madison HOF member Johan Schmatzhagen. Cavazos has time to move up the list. With his next win he'll move into a tie for 38th all-time. He also signed a 2 year contract extension earlier this season at a huge discount. He's currently making $10 million this season but will make just $1.6 million in 2037 and 2038 which is a team option.

As mentioned, it's a really unique career for Jose. He accomplished the 200 win milestone despite never winning 20 games in a season. With that said, he was blessed with 12 consecutive double digit win seasons from 2020 through 2031 when he was a member of Tucson and then Huntsville. That streak ended in 2032 when he only won 9 games in Hunstville. He followed that up with just 8 victories in 2033. After a 5-15 season in 2034 it started to appear as though the end was near for Jose. But Cavazos found the fountain of youth in 2035 with Jacksonville. At the age of 35, Jose won 16 games last season, the second most of his career. Had he not missed his final few starts due to injury, he could have pushed for his career best which was 17 way back in 2023.

"I've had a good career. Hopefully I have a few more years left in me" concluded Cavazos. "I just need to make sure I stay off that 'other' list with those other 3 guys."

Cavazos is referencing Ramon Ayala, Sammy Bodeen, and Robert Walton. The only three guys with 200 losses. Oddly enough, those three also have 200 career wins. Cavazos should be safe. He has 161 career defeats thus far.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50