That's What Cheesehead: 36.40 - Raider Set to Return

GM: Mike Simon

Moderator: CTBrewCrew

7teen
BBA GM

That's What Cheesehead: 36.40 - Raider Set to Return

Post by 7teen » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:22 am

It has been 2 months since the most electrifying player in the BBA has played in a game but now he's set to return. Mons Raider (.302/.405/.380, 1 HR, 12 RBI), after sitting out 9 weeks with shoulder tendinitis, will return to the Wolves after the all-star break and join the team when the second half of the season begins in Rockville for the Wolves. The Wolves went 20-32 after his injury. They were a slightly better team with him at 19-18.

"I'm ready to get back out there for sure" said Raider whose ability to steal bases at will has earned him the honor as being the most electrifying player in the league. "I know my team needs me. We've struggled some since I've been off. Luckily we aren't too far out of things and if we can get on a little roll in here the second half maybe we can creep back into the race."

The Wolves currently sit 6 games behind Long Beach for the final wild card spot in the Frick League. Of course, optimism may be tough to buy into considering Madison is currently dead last in the Frick League Heartland at the moment and 17.5 games behind Omaha in the division race.

The return of Raider creates some interesting decisions now for the front office and manager Millard Davis. 19 year old rookie Natanael Barral (.284/.403/.448, 3 HR, 14 RBI) has filled the offensive void rather well since Raider's absence and has taken over the 1B duties quite nicely. In fact, over just 40 games played, Barral has already laid claim to the second highest WAR total on the team. Of course the guy leading the team at the moment is the current DH Jon Mick (.287/.342/.594, 27 HR, 80 RBI) with his 1.9 WAR. Do the Wolves, who have been offensively challenged most of the season, actually consider sending Barral back down to the minors?

"We are really going to have to look at things" said Davis. "We always have the option of giving Raider some reps back at 2b where he spent the first years of his career. But to do that would require us removing Thealer from the lineup which isn't exactly ideal either. I guess we'll just have to see what's best and tinker around some in the second half."

Davis is referencing 20 year old Jharod Thealer (.224/.361/.284, 0 HR, 17 RBI) who hasn't had the sophomore season many had hoped for. But at the age of 20, isn't exactly at the age where you just cast him aside. Most in the organization still think Thealer is the 2B of this team for the future. That thought only makes the decision of what to do with Raider, Barral, Mick, and Thealer all the more problematic.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

Re: That's What Cheesehead: 36.40 - Raider Set to Return

Post by Lane » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:29 am

it is, as they say, a good problem to have.

I'm happy to see Raider back, even if it does make the WC race a bit tougher.
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Madison Wolves”