That's What Cheesehead: 36.30 - Wolves Draft Interesting Player

GM: Mike Simon

Moderator: CTBrewCrew

7teen
BBA GM

That's What Cheesehead: 36.30 - Wolves Draft Interesting Player

Post by 7teen » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:48 pm

Let's be honest. We are at the point in the 2036 draft where 98% of the guys will never be heard from every again. Half of the guys either won't sign or will be placed into the lower minor leagues to never be heard from again. Occassionally that 2% that's left will get a few magical bumps, find the right medication, or have just enough of something that allows them to make it to the BBA. Of course then there are those guys with just something about them that is unique and that alone gets them a little notoriety. Even if that little bit of mention is at the draft. That's the case with the Wolves' J.R. Spoonman (6/3/7 Talents).

"I've tried to hide it but over time the story just got out and became a big deal" said J.R. after being drafted. "At this point, I just embrace it, regardless of how odd it is."

What J.R. is referencing is his rather unique last name. Spoonman! Yeah sure, maybe that name in Toronto is as common as Collins or Kengos is here in the United States, but it is highly unlikely. In fact, based on the history, it's very unique.

"I've never met another Spoonman outside of my immediate family" said J.R. "I don't think any others exist. I can see why."

You see, before J.R. was born, way back in the early 1990s, J.R.'s grandfather wasn't a wealthy man and every halloween, made his kids dress up as cheap ghosts or hobos. Then one year, being a fan of late night television, J.R.s grandfather caught a comedy skit about cheap halloween costumes that the old-man just fell in love with. That October, being devoted to the idea, he taped a spoon to his head and went as "Crazy Spoon Head". Nothing else. Normal clothes. Just a spoon on his head. Well, the idea was a hit. Everyone in the neighborhood was laughing and saying "look at that crazy man with a spoon on his head. It's a spoonhead. It's a spoonman!" The next day at work, everyone referred to Jimmy, J.R.s grandfather, as Jimmy Spoonman.

As they say, the rest was history. Every Halloween Jimmy made his 3 sons go as Spoonhead. Or Spoonman as the neighborhood kids referred to them as. It became the family nickname. Everywhere the family went, they were called by their new nickname, Spoonman. Jimmy, embracing the fact his family now had an indentity in Canada, filed the paperwork late in 1998 to officially change their last name from Roy to Spoonman. From that point on, it was the family name.

J.R. was born in 2017 to Kevin and Natalie Spoonman. Natalie became the first woman to adopt the last name Spoonman via marriage. J.R. was the second born Spoonman, being born 3 years after his cousin R.J. Spoonman.

As for what the J stands for, "Jimmy of course" says J.R. proudly. "The guy who gave us all a name!"

To date, there has never been a Spoonman play in the BBA.

Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

Re: That's What Cheesehead: 36.30 - Wolves Draft Interesting Player

Post by Lane » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:27 pm

Oh man this is great.

I clicked to this article expecting to read about the dude with the crazy splits but this is 10000000000000000x better
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: That's What Cheesehead: 36.30 - Wolves Draft Interesting Player

Post by RonCo » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:47 pm

Awesome!
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant