2011 V4 - Madonald Quietly Hones His Craft

GM: Renato Umali

Moderator: R.Umali

kestu
Ex-GM

2011 V4 - Madonald Quietly Hones His Craft

Post by kestu » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:40 pm

Tom Madonald knew he would have to step up his game when fellow ace Roy Nevel's elbow blew up in mid-April. "Nevel is a phenomenal talent" Madonald said. "He pitched a grand total of 87 innings in the minors before getting called up and I think we all know he didn't even need to pitch any at that level. He came right up and contributed from Day 1 as a 19 year old and when he went down this year, I knew that if we were going to have a chance to continue our playoff run, I was going to have to take the responsibility of being the ace of this team and going deeper into games more frequently."

His numbers back him up as Madonald quietly finished 2nd in the MBWBA in WAR in 2011, only behind a certain "Boy Scout" that is all but guaranteed to win the 2011 POY award in the Frick League. His WAR of 9.3 is 2.3 higher than the 2nd place finisher, Brian Middleton of Valencia and 3.9 higher than the Johnson League POY favorite Jason Brooks while being only 1.5 behind the afore-mentioned "Boy Scout".

"I don't care" was Madonald's simple response when asked about his candidacy for the Johnson League POY. "What I am proud of is responding to the challenge that was put forth. The numbers speak for themselves."

Indeed, Madonald put up a career high in innings pitched and strikeouts while significantly improving his bb/9 ratio.

"We definitely took the 'kid gloves off' following Nevel's injury" said Manager Joey Cahill. "We needed him to stick in the games later to give out bullpen a breather every 5 days. Brooks and Rodriguez were both very good this year, but they are not complete-game guys. In order to keep Megaphone and Snuffy fresh, Madonald needed to dig a little deeper this year. I'm just not sure when the rest of the league will catch on - last I looked they had a reliever ahead of him in the POY race. One thing I do know - he sure doesn't care."

agrudez
Ex-GM

Re: 2011 V4 - Madonald Quietly Hones His Craft

Post by agrudez » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:48 am

You'll get Nevel back about a month before I get Kennedy back next season... it'll be interesting to see how that affects the race. Hopefully for my sake Luna can stay healthy for a month or two next season, haha.
League Director: Kyle “agrudez” Stever*
*Also serves as chief muckraker
-Ron, 2025 media guide

kestu
Ex-GM

Post by kestu » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:57 pm

If my offense and defense don't improve it won't matter if/when I get Nevel back.

What are your feelings on Madonald? I personally voted for him ahead of Brooks in the POY voting.

agrudez
Ex-GM

Post by agrudez » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:20 pm

kestu wrote:What are your feelings on Madonald?
He's not quite in the Strath/Daffy god-like status, but he isn't far off. Without looking too hard, a 2.98 FIP and 9.3 WAR last season has gotta be tops in the JL, no?
-Ron, 2025 media guide

kestu
Ex-GM

Post by kestu » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:05 pm

Agreed - was curious about your opinion as he is way to low in the JL POY voting IMO.

agrudez
Ex-GM

Post by agrudez » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:38 am

kestu wrote:Agreed - was curious about your opinion as he is way to low in the JL POY voting IMO.
It looks like some people messed up by voting relievers and others messed up by voting for Brown (the JL's only 20 game winner, but not exactly on his own merit).

Personally, looking back at my ballot I'm not really too enamored with it... Smith-Middleton-Brown(homer alert)-Baca(huh?)-Mazzola(WHAT?)... so, yeah, not sure how that happened.
-Ron, 2025 media guide

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”