2010 V4 - Chicago Clinches Midwest Division Title

GM: Renato Umali

Moderator: R.Umali

kestu
Ex-GM

2010 V4 - Chicago Clinches Midwest Division Title

Post by kestu » Thu May 30, 2013 11:08 am

For the first time since 1996, the Chicago Black Sox have clinched the Johnson League Midwest Division title guaranteeing their first playoff appearance since 1998. They will also finish with more than 90 wins for the first time since 1995. It's been a long drought over the course of the past 16 years, but Chicago will finally be playing baseball in October.

The starting pitching, which is so often key to any posteason success was headlined by Roy Nevel Jr., Tom Madonald and rookie Antonio Rodriguez. They have combined to go 43-23 with 479 k's and only 172 walks so far this season. They put together the best starting pitching staff in Chicago since the fabled 1995 team which featured Chet Steadman and Jeff Kiplinger, who combined to go 37-7 with 465 k's and only 96 walks.

"It's an amazing feeling," said Ohio native Roy Nevel Jr., who turned 7 years old during the Black Sox last 90 win season. "I grew up watching guys like Chet Steadman and Jeff Kiplinger and to be mentioned in the same breath with those guys is pretty awesome. I just hope we can have the continued success those guys did - by no stretch of the imagination is a division title our ultimate goal. While they were dominant on the mound, they are most remembered for the back to back titles they won."

The Black Sox came into the season without huge expectations outside of Chicago. Some pundits even saw them as a .500 team. "We had different expectations," simply stated manager Joey Cahill. "While Madison has been dominant for so long, we still felt pretty good coming into the season. We have a lot of young guys that are just starting to reach their potential and despite a poor overall record last year, we knew we had the pieces to compete. Bringing in guys like Lipp and Snuffy, who are both highly respected clubhouse guys, as well as dominant players at their position, made our job a lot easier this year. We also got a full season from Brodie as well as significant improvement from Medina, Bart and Biceps which just made our lineup that much more solid. Not to mention very good rookie seasons from Flying Frenchy and Thorne. It's been a fun season so far."

Offensively, the Black Sox exceeded internal expectations for the team - sitting now with the best team average in the league. "Having Bart and Burt put up close to a combined .400 OBP set the table all year for this team - we moved a lot of guys around behind them in the order, but they set the table up there all year and it was great to see," said Cahill.

Edgar Medina also took his game to another level. He still is in the running to potentially finish the year as a 30/30 player while playing exclusively against RHP. "He's been fun to watch," said Cahill. "He was a guy that we had our eye on for a few years, as he performed at a high level when given the chance, but for whatever reason, never won that full time job. Ironically, if Owry hadn't been so bad in the OF, he might not have ever received the chance at a full time job, which obviously would have been our mistake."

"As well as we played this year - I still see a lot of room for improvement," added GM Keith Stuart. "We finished 1st in average, 2nd in both hits walks and still somehow finished 8th in runs scored. I don't know the last time that happened - if ever. I'm not even sure how it's possible to be honest. Despite finishing 'only' 5th in extra base hits, I think with a little more luck we should move into the top 5 in runs scored in future seasons without any significant individual improvement, which should be a given with our youth. Pitching-wise, we have a ton of youth - and hopefully we have solidified our bullpen for years to come with the additions of Sorensen and Megaphone."

Megaphone, who was pushed out of the closers role after a rough start to the season has settled quite nicely into the setup role during the month of September pitching 8.2 innings without giving up a run, while striking out 14 and walking 2. Despite this, more was expected during his rookie season as evidenced by his $21 million dollar salary.

"I trust in the management of this ballclub," said owner Mike Voelker, "and for that reason I was willing to invest the money we did into guys like Sanguinacco, Burt and Lipp. It wasn't without debate as we had lower priced guys that could have filled those shoes somewhat adequately, but it felt like now was the time to strike - and so far, so good. I wouldn't change a thing."

Third baseman John Wilkinson who is the only regular with any playoff experience added,"it will be good to play ball in October again - once these guys get a taste - they will fight like crazy to get back."

agrudez
Ex-GM

Re: 2010 V4 - Chicago Clinches Midwest Division Title

Post by agrudez » Thu May 30, 2013 11:56 am

The Sorenson+Webb deal really set the table, imo... what'd you go, 33-14 since that trade? Great stuff, bud, and congrats!
League Director: Kyle “agrudez” Stever*
*Also serves as chief muckraker
-Ron, 2025 media guide

kestu
Ex-GM

Post by kestu » Thu May 30, 2013 2:05 pm

Yeah - I agree. 45-30 since the trade. I wasn't expecting much from Webb - but he's been out of his mind so far. Partially due to very bad luck in Carolina, but I'll take it.

Manny
Ex-GM

Post by Manny » Thu May 30, 2013 2:38 pm

Congrats!! I always thought the Black Sox had the makings of a good team, love your rotation. Good luck in the postseason

Al-Hoot

Post by Al-Hoot » Thu May 30, 2013 4:15 pm

Congratulations, Keith. And Sorenson's impact brings the question: can someone who changed leagues midway through the season be the Gunga winner?

agrudez
Ex-GM

Post by agrudez » Thu May 30, 2013 4:27 pm

Al-Hoot wrote:Congratulations, Keith. And Sorenson's impact brings the question: can someone who changed leagues midway through the season be the Gunga winner?
I kind of touched this in reference to Meyer in one of your TNs, but I don't personally think so... most voters rely far too much on what OOTPou is presenting them. If we could put together a decent sized campaign for Sorenson (I'd participate) then it might be possible, but without raised awareness he'd get ignored far too often, imo.
-Ron, 2025 media guide

Al-Hoot

Post by Al-Hoot » Thu May 30, 2013 4:38 pm

Oh yeah, I was gonna say in reponse to that point that the irregularities of the OOTPOU oughtn't to figure so highly when it comes to awards voting.
But, setting aside that issue, perhaps in Sorenson's case it really is more a question of "aptness" of someone winning a *league* award, given that he changed leagues when he did. I mean if Ritchie had changed leagues halfway through the season, would he be a contender for Best Slugger Award of *a* league?

agrudez
Ex-GM

Post by agrudez » Thu May 30, 2013 4:56 pm

Al-Hoot wrote:Oh yeah, I was gonna say in reponse to that point that the irregularities of the OOTPOU oughtn't to figure so highly when it comes to awards voting.
But, setting aside that issue, perhaps in Sorenson's case it really is more a question of "aptness" of someone winning a *league* award, given that he changed leagues when he did. I mean if Ritchie had changed leagues halfway through the season, would he be a contender for Best Slugger Award of *a* league?
Ah, you went philosophical with it. Well, I think its possible, but harder, personally (or that is at least how I would vote it) - and the player needs to do something 'special'. In Sorenson's case, he gave up 3 ER in 26.2 IP and compiled 0.9 WAR in his half season in the JL... just absurd stuff, really. If Egan hadn't of had the season he had I'd have given Sorenson my #1 vote over Meyer, et al.
-Ron, 2025 media guide

7teen
BBA GM

Post by 7teen » Fri May 31, 2013 9:08 am

Congrats! I would like to blame injuries on the collapse of Madison this season. However, I think the changing of the guard in the Midwest happened a year or two before I hoped it would.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

nerfHerder
Ex-GM

Post by nerfHerder » Fri May 31, 2013 12:17 pm

Congrats. Have to love our division.
Mike Bieschke
GM, Mumbai Metro Stars (2042-2044)

BBA GM, Hawaii Tropics (2014-2037, 2038-2041)(Landis Cup Champions 2025)
UMEBA GM, Baghdad Kings (2037-2038)
BBA GM, Phoenix Talons (2003-2013)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”