2058.3 - Letter to Mummy, from Dhrtatman Seshadri dated 6/10/205

GM: Renato Umali

Moderator: R.Umali

R.Umali
BBA GM

2058.3 - Letter to Mummy, from Dhrtatman Seshadri dated 6/10/205

Post by R.Umali » Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:25 am

Namaskara,

Enclosed is one of the cards that got printed for this year's draft class. I like it because it has "1st round" on it. And it's the first card with the team that drafted me. And they spelled my name correctly. In many ways, I still cannot believe I went first round, especially after my injury. But I had the feeling that Chicago would pick me. The trainer there is from Sholapur. His name is Bhujabalin Padmesh. Look him up, he won a GBC championship with the Tokyo Pearls, of all the teams. When I told him that you were from Vijayapura he was very stunned. He has relatives there. He reminded me of Kaka Sujoy.

When you come to Chicago, you'll have to meet him. He is very friendly. He and Candranibha Saswata - the new second baseman - took me to Devon Street, an amazing street. So many Indian restaurants and markets. You'd like it. It's like Elk Grove. We went to a North Indian place called Udupi Palace. Mr. Saswata is from Munger. He's great: very down to earth, hard worker. After the meal he spoke some Kannada or Hindi to the waiter: "This gentleman will pay for everything." I told him, I have not received any part of my bonus yet!

I hope I didn't get picked just because of Mr. Padmesh, but I have to admit that I was working it during the physical. But he seemed genuinely happy to have another Indian there - even though I can't speak a word of Kannada.

He also seems genuinely confident that I will recover fully. I am set to rehab at Northwestern Medical and at the Black Sox facilities. He estimates that I will be throwing in no time (a month or so). Then I'll head down to Monclova, Mexico and pitch for their rookie team, the Aqua Sox. It's not too far from Texas. I'll likely finish the season there. My goal is to play for Rockford in two years, just like Stevie Bodine. Although he just got demoted back to Rockford. He looked great in the game I attended (6-1 victory over the San Fernando Bears) but overall, he's been overmatched. He's only one year older than me! I have a dream to be on the starting five with him.

Lots of people are surprised that the team is fighting for a wild card spot.

The Black Sox people are great. The owner is Mr. Santino Vitale and the stadium is named after somebody in his family. Mr. Vitale is quite young. The guy that drafted me, Mr. Renato Umali, the guy that called you and just wanted to talk about Pather Pachali and Ravi Shankar, I think is nice but I haven't really seen him or Vitale since the day of the draft. Coach Rocky Wattson you probably know. He's a young guy, too. He used to play for the team only a few years ago. They are retiring his number later this year. I think we'll get along if I ever make it up to the big team.

Speaking of which, I did ask the HR person again to make sure that the signing bonus was not conditional on me actually making it to the Black Sox. And the bonus is definitely not refundable. Have daddy find it for you in the contract. Unfortunately we will be taxed but nevertheless: We are millionaires, Mummy!!! I would never make this kind of money playing cricket!

Give my very best love to daddy. I cannot wait for your visit.

Dhrtatman

JimSlade
BBA GM

Re: 2058.3 - Letter to Mummy, from Dhrtatman Seshadri dated 6/10/205

Post by JimSlade » Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:20 am

Ah, nice! I take it this means he's signed with you? Weren't you worried that he wasn't going to sign?

Fun piece!
BBA GM, Rockville Pikemen
Former UMEBA GM, Mumbai Metro Stars
SDMB GM, Toronto Beavers

R.Umali
BBA GM

Post by R.Umali » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:56 am

JimSlade wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:20 am
Ah, nice! I take it this means he's signed with you? Weren't you worried that he wasn't going to sign?
Thanks, and yes I was a bit worried - probably could've baked that into Seshadri's letter somehow. Meanwhile, all the later rounds guys I auto picked have already been gobbling up at bats and innings these past two sims!

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Post by recte44 » Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:01 pm

Awesome piece!

Krathan
BBA GM

Post by Krathan » Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:36 pm

This was really great!
Krathan (Nathan)
Cairo Pharaos GM 2055 (2055 GBC Champion)
Charlotte Cougars/Flyers GM Sept. 2055-??? (2058 JL Wildcard)

trmmilwwi
BBA GM

Post by trmmilwwi » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:30 am

Great read!!
trmmilwwi - GM San Antonio Outlaws
MBWBA Manager of the Year FL 2010, JL 2016, JL 2018

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”